Current Students

SAIC continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and safety measures put in place can be found on the Make Together websiteInternational Affairs is available via email, telephone, and via online appointments to support all studentsWe are also available 8:30 - 4:30 for in-person document drop off and pick up and have in-person walk-in hours with no appointment needed from 12:00 -1:00 Monday-Friday. To contact International Student Services, please email To contact Study Abroad please email

As an international student, it is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status. Our International Affairs team will help guide you through the immigration process. As your International Student Advisors, we are here to assist, advise, and answer any questions regarding your immigration status during your time at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC). 

Below you will find information on enrollment and personal updates. You can also navigate to the menu on the left for additional guidance to maintain your immigration status. Always check in with International Affairs with any questions or concerns.

Full-Time Enrollment

All international students are expected to make normal progress toward their degree. This includes always being enrolled full-time to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status. Full-time enrollment means 12 credits for all undergraduate programs and some graduate programs. Below is a list of graduate programs and their full-time enrollment requirements.

Master of Architecture 12
Master of Architecture with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture 12
Master of Arts in Arts Administration and Policy 9
Master of Arts in Art Education 9
Master of Arts in Art Therapy and Counseling 6
Master of Arts in Modern and Contemporary Art History 9
Master of Arts in New Arts Journalism 9
Master of Arts in Teaching 12
Master of Arts in Visual and Critical Studies 9
Master of Design in Designed Objects 12
Master of Design in Fashion, Body and Garment 12
Master of Fine Arts in Writing 12
Master of Science in Historic Preservation 12
Dual Degree: MA in Arts Administration & Policy & MA in Modern and Contemporary Art History 9
Master of Fine Arts in Studio 12

Less Than Full-Time Enrollment

Special circumstances, such as an unexpected serious medical diagnosis, may allow you to be authorized to drop below full-time (specific documentation from a medical doctor or licensed psychologist is required). Contact International Affairs in the event that this occurs.

Address/Phone Changes

You are required to update any changes to your address in SAIC Self-Service or by visiting the Registrar within 10 days of the change. Updates to your permanent international address can be made by International Affairs.