Employment is any type of work performed, or services provided, in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, lodging, or for any other benefit. You may not be employed off-campus unless authorized by an international student advisor (this includes unpaid and volunteer employment). Working or being employed off-campus without authorization is a serious violation of your immigration status.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment does not require authorization from International Affairs; it is an automatic benefit of the F-1 or J-1 (degree seeking) status. Art Institute employment does not have to be related to your major and can include jobs at the school, in the museum, and TA positions for graduate students. Jobs are available in many departments at SAIC, and positions are available at all skill levels. Most on-campus jobs during the fall and spring semesters are reserved for students with Work-Study earning eligibility and international students. View current on-campus and off-campus jobs on Handshake. You can learn more about Handshake via the CAPX website. Contact departments directly for more information about job opportunities. SAIC employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week when school is in session. This amount includes all other authorized employment. International students may work more than 20 hours per week during official SAIC breaks only.

Volunteer Work

Engaging in volunteer work can be viewed by USCIS as unauthorized employment and a serious violation of your immigration status. Always consult with an international student advisor in International Affairs before considering or engaging in opportunities like volunteer work. Walk-in hours are a great time to stop by International Affairs and ask to speak with an advisor regarding your questions about employment or unpaid volunteer opportunities.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

You must be registered full-time before considering a CAPX internship or any other work experience including fieldwork and apprentice/student teaching.

  • CPT is a type of work authorization awarded through International Affairs that allows eligible F-1 students to gain practical work experience in their program through approved off-campus internships if the practical training is “an integral part of an established curriculum” [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)]. Approved off-campus internships are for SAIC credit and may be required for graduation. Examples include CAPX internships or a graduate program requirement such as fieldwork or internship and can include both paid and unpaid opportunities.

  • Students who have been in F-1 status for one academic year immediately prior to applying are eligible to apply for CPT work authorization. Limited exceptions to the one-year eligibility requirement include specific Master of Arts program students who have internships/fieldwork required as part of their first year curriculum as outlined in the SAIC Bulletin.

  • You must request CPT authorization via a formal process through International Affairs before starting work. CPT authorizations must be requested five business days before the start of your proposed employment. Approved CPT students will receive a new I-20 with the authorized location and dates of employment printed on the third page. You may not work until you have been authorized for CPT, and CPT is employer-specific. This means that if you change your employer, or dates of employment, you must request new CPT authorization from International Affairs. Working even one day without required CPT authorization is a serious violation of your F-1 status and will jeopardize your immigration status.

  • Yes. International students are required at all times to be full-time students. If you have not secured your CAPX internship when classes begin, register for and attend another course to maintain your full-time status. If you do secure a CAPX internship during the add/drop period, you will be able add the CAPX credit and drop the other course without penalty.

    1. Complete your International Student CAPX Orientation and submit your application and résumé online to Career and Professional Experience (CAPX).
    2. Schedule an appointment with your CAPX Advisor.
    3. Follow up on leads provided by your CAPX Advisor and receive an internship offer.
    4. After an offer is secured, visit the CAPX office to register for CAPX credit and to complete the Student and CAPX portion of the CPT Application Form. Note that the CAPX advisor must provide a copy of your job description as part of the completed CPT Application Form for International Affairs.
    5. Request a copy of your Registration Statement from the Registrar.
    6. CAPX will submit your completed CPT Application form along with your job description via email to International Affairs at least five business days before you hope to begin your internship. 
    7. Pick up your CPT-authorized I-20 from International Affairs when notified via email and before beginning your CPT-authorized CAPX internship.

    1. Upon securing placement at a fieldwork site, complete the student portion of the CPT Application Form for fieldwork/internships.
    2. Make an appointment with your placement coordinator or appropriate departmental staff to complete the advisor portion of the form. Note that you or your placement coordinator must provide or attach a copy of your placement/job description to the completed CPT authorization form.
    3. Submit your completed CPT Application Form to International Affairs along with your registration statement showing that you are registered for the fieldwork/internship or apprentice/student teaching course listed on your CPT Application form at least five business days before you begin.
    4. Pick up your CPT-authorized I-20 from International Affairs when notified and before beginning your CPT-authorized fieldwork/internship or apprentice/student teaching.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

  • OPT is work authorization which allows eligible F-1 students to work in the United States for up to 12 months AFTER the completion of their degree. This is an opportunity for you to gain work experience before returning to your home country to pursue more permanent employment.

  • To be eligible, you must:

    • Be in good academic standing
    • Be completing a master’s or bachelor’s degree prior to beginning OPT
    • Have been enrolled full-time in the United States in F-1 status for the past two semesters
    • Have not had more than 12 months of full-time CPT
    • Have not had OPT at the same academic level at any institution
    • Not be enrolled in a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate (Post-Bac) program. Post-Bac students are not eligible for OPT.

  • Unlike CPT, you are not required to have a job before you submit your OPT application. You are permitted to apply for OPT while you are still searching for a job.

  • Authorization is granted by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); it may take up to 90 days for a decision to be made regarding your application. The steps you must complete to apply for OPT are:

    1. Attend a mandatory OPT Canvas Class early in your final semester of study.
    2. Schedule a half-hour OPT appointment with an International Student Advisor.
    3. With International Affairs, review your OPT application documents prior to submitting them to USCIS.
    4. International Affairs will issue a new I-20 in SEVIS with your requested OPT application dates, review the application with you, and then you will submit the application to USCIS for processing.

  • Upon receipt,you will receive notice  from USCIS with a "receipt number" you can use to track your case status as the application moves through the review process. Once approved, you will receive what is called an "Employment Authorization Document" (EAD), also known as your OPT card. This card is like a Social Security card or Passport—it is unique to you and very important to keep safe and secure. It lists the exact dates of your authorized OPT period and is presented to employers as evidence of your work eligibility once you are hired.

  • If your OPT application has not yet been reviewed,you may send a letter to USCIS requesting that the application be canceled, however, your filing fee will not be refunded.  If you need to cancel your OPT application, visit International Affairs for assistance.

  • Traveling outside the United States is discouraged while your OPT application is pending. If there are any problems with your application, USCIS may send a RFE (Request for Evidence) which requires a response which may require you to be in the United States to respond. If you are required to travel internationally while your application is pending, please speak to International Affairs prior to finalizing your plans. You are free to travel within the United States while your application is pending.

  • Once your OPT period begins, you are expected to work. Work may be part-time or full-time and can be paid or unpaid. You are required to report your employment and any changes to your employment to International Affairs, as this information is recorded in SEVIS. Details are collected in an online SEVP Employment Reporting Portal. Changes and updates must be reported within 10 days in order to maintain your immigration status.

  • All work or employment must be related to the program of study listed on line #5 of your I-20. For most SAIC students, jobs related to the arts would be appropriate.  Please speak with an International Affairs advisor if you have any questions. 

    Types of acceptable paid employment:

    • Multiple employers: You may work for one or more employers, but all jobs must be related to your field of study.
    • Short-term multiple employers: You are permitted to have multiple short-term jobs or gigs (e.g., performances, exhibitions, etc.). Keep a list and evidence of all jobs, exhibitions, gigs, including the employer and duration of each.
    • Work for hire: Commonly referred to as 1099 or Independent Contractor Employment—keep evidence of the duration of contract periods and the name and address of the contracting company.
    • Self-employed business owner: You may start a business or be self-employed while on OPT. You should be able to prove that you have the proper business licenses and that the business is related to your field of study.
    • Employment through an agency or consulting firm is also allowed.

    Unpaid Employment:

    • You may work as a volunteer or unpaid intern, where this practice does not violate US labor laws.

  • OPT regulations require you work on average 20+ hours a week. This may include combining the hours worked between two or more employers.

  • You may NOT begin working until you receive your EAD/OPT Card and you may only work between the dates listed on your EAD/OPT Card. Your employer will likely ask for a copy of your OPT Card to determine employment eligibility, so it is important that you do not agree to begin working before you receive your OPT card or agree to work outside the dates listed on your OPT Card.

  • You are required to report any changes in your address, name, or employment status while on OPT within 10 days. Additionally, if you change your immigration status or decide to permanently depart the United States during your OPT period, you are required to report this to SEVP using the SEVP employment reporting portal.

  • International Affairs recommends that you document all work completed while on OPT.  Examples of documentation include; job offer letters printed on company letterhead, pay stubs, timesheets, exhibition promo materials, residency offers, etc. Documentation is for your personal records and should not be submitted to International Affairs. Employment documentation is important because it can facilitate international travel and support an application to change to another visa status after OPT.

  • You are permitted up to 90 days of unemployment throughout the 12 months of OPT listed on your EAD/OPT Card, or a maximum of 90 days where the average hours worked falls below 20 hours per week. If you reach 91 days total (within your 12 month OPT period), your OPT ends and you are expected to depart the United States immediately. If you are coming close to 90 days of unemployment, contact International Affairs to discuss your options.

  • If you plan to start a new program either during or after you complete your OPT,request to have your SEVIS record transferred to the other institution by International Affairs. This can be done up to 60 days after your OPT end date. Please note that if you transfer your SEVIS record while on OPT, your work authorization ends the day that your record is transferred, regardless of the end date indicated on your EAD/OPT Card.

  • You can remain in the United States if your F-1 visa has expired; you do not need to depart and apply for a new one. Only if you plan to travel outside the United States and return while on OPT, do you need to have a valid F-1 visa. If you travel outside the United States and your F-1 visa will expire before you re-enter, you must apply for a new visa at a US Consulate or Embassy abroad PRIOR to your return.   

  • If you plan to travel outside the United States while on OPT and re-enter, you should have the following documents:

    • Most recent valid I-20 form (showing OPT recommendation on p. 3) with a travel signature that is less than six months old
    • A passport that is valid six months into the future
    • Valid F-1 visa (except Canadian citizens)
    • Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)/OPT Card
    • Letter from employer(s) verifying employment start date or return date
    • Optional documents: evidence of financial resources, SAIC transcript, contact information for International Affairs

    Note: Students re-entering the United States after their program end date but before their OPT start date must travel with their EAD/OPT Card and the items above.

  • If you lose or misplace your EAD/OPT Card, you will need to apply for a replacement. The process for applying for OPT and applying for a replacement EAD/OPT card is nearly the same; you simply check a different box on the I-765 form. For the replacement card, you will have to submit an entirely new application with required support documentation, pay a replacement fee equal to the OPT application fee, and wait for your application to be processed and approved. If you need to apply for a replacement card, contact International Affairs for assistance.

  • OPT Workshops are held throughout the semester in International Affairs office and is also available as an online workshop. Visit the main International Affairs webpage for workshop dates and times or contact us directly with any questions.

Hiring an International Student for Work-Study

International students are eligible for Work-Study positions at SAIC. If hired, here are a few things to consider:

  • International students are restricted to a total of 20 hours per week, all jobs combined, during the fall and spring semesters. This includes TA/GA positions and other on-campus jobs. Students may work up to 40 hours a week combined during the winter and summer terms.
  • Students must complete I-9 paperwork, which may include having to apply for a Social Security number. Student Financial Services provides a step-by-step process for the student to follow.
  • Work must be on-campus. International students are never permitted to work off-campus unless they are authorized by International Affairs.

International students are never authorized to work off-campus without prior authorization from International Affairs. Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of immigration law, and the student will be required to leave the country. Even volunteer and unpaid work is considered a violation of status if not previously authorized on their I-20. 

  • International students engaging in off-campus internships, fieldwork or apprentice teaching, must receive authorization from International Affairs prior to beginning work. The internship or fieldwork must be credit bearing and an integral part of the degree program. International students are required to be in valid F-1 status for two semesters (fall/spring or spring/fall) prior to engaging in off campus work.

    Most international students participating in an internship will work with the Career and Professional Experience (CAPX) to complete Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization request in Terra Dotta. CPT authorization requests must be submitted to International Affairs and approved PRIOR to beginning any internship.

    Students participating in Art Therapy, Art Education, or Teaching programs will have their placement coordinator in their department complete the CPT paperwork and submit it with a copy of their class schedule reflecting the required fieldwork credits PRIOR to beginning their fieldwork.