Get to Your Residence Hall
CTA from O'Hare Airport
Blue Line—from O'Hare Airport
Fare is $5.25
- To Jones Hall: Take the Loop-bound train (Forest Park), and exit the train at Washington. (Washington and Dearborn Streets). Walk one block south, and one block east to the corner of Madison and State Street. The building is located at 7 West Madison Street.
- To the 162 North State Street Residences: Take the Loop-bound train (Forest Park), and exit the train at Washington. (Washington and Dearborn Streets). Walk one block north and one block east, to the corner of Randolph and State Streets. The building is located on the northwest corner.
- To the Buckingham: Take the Loop-bound train (Forest Park), and exit the train at Jackson. (Jackson and Dearborn Streets). Walk one block south and two blocks east, to the corner of Van Buren and Wabash Streets. The building is located on the southeast corner.
CTA from Midway Airport
Orange Line—from Midway Airport
Fare is $2.50
- To Jones Hall: Take the Loop-bound train, and exit the train at the Adams and Wabash stop. Walk one block west to the corner of Adams and State Streets, and two blocks north to Madison and State Streets. The building is located at 7 West Madison Street.
- To the 162 North State Street Residences: Take the Loop-bound train, and exit the train at the State and Lake stop. Walk one block south to 162 North State Street.
- To the Buckingham: Take the Loop-bound train, and exit the train at the Harold Washington stop. Walk two blocks east. The building is located on the southeast corner.
Type the address of your residence hall into your GPS (Apple Maps, Google Maps, etc.).
- The 162 North State Street Residences are located on State Street between Randolph and Lake Streets, just across from the iconic Chicago Theater and its can't-miss marquee.
- Jones Hall is located on the corner of State Street and Madison Street, at 7 West Madison Street.
- The Buckingham is located on the corner of Wabash Avenue and Van Buren Street, at 59 East Van Buren Street.
Get Your Food
Mariano's | 333 E. Benton Pl.
This is a large grocery store with many great options. Walk east (towards the lake) on Randolph Street. Turn left on Columbus Drive. Turn right on Park Drive. See 333 E Benton Place to your left.
Jewel-Osco | 550 N. State St. (at Grand Ave.)
Jewel-Osco is located outside the Red Line stop at Grand Avenue. Take the Red Line north toward Howard and get off at the Grand stop. You can also walk north on State Street to Grand Avenue. It is about 3/4 of a mile.
Whole Foods Market | 30 W. Huron St.
This has all your organics, locally grown, and exotic choices. Take the Red Line north toward Howard and get off at the Chicago stop. Walk south two blocks to Huron Street. Turn right and walk to 30 West Huron Street.
Trader Joe's | 44 E. Ontario St.
This is a slightly more affordable version of Whole Foods. Take the Red Line north toward Howard and get off at the Grand stop. Walk north two blocks to Ontario Street. Turn right and walk one and a half blocks east to 44 East Ontario Street.
Trader Joe's | 1147 S. Wabash Ave.
Another Trader Joe's location: Take the Red Line South toward 95th/Dan Ryan and get off at the Roosevelt stop. Turn left on Roosevelt Road and walk one block east.
Target 1 S. State St. (at Madison St.)
Located at the corner of State and Madison, this is a "city version" of the Target big-box store.
Target 1154 S. Clark St. (at Roosevelt Rd.)
This is the downtown big-box that also has groceries. Take the Red Line south toward 95th/Dan Ryan and get off at the Roosevelt stop. Turn right on Roosevelt Road and walk over the bridge. Or if you drive, there is an attached parking garage.
The meal plan is a declining-balance program; you will use your Dining Dollars to pay for what you eat. You will receive your Dining Dollars every semester to be used at on-campus dining locations. Select your meal and pay at the register!
In the fall, your Dining Dollars will be available the day you move into the residence halls. Your spring semester Dining Dollars will be charged to your student bill with your spring housing charges in late December. At the end of the fall 2023 semester, any unused funds (dining dollars) will roll over to the spring 2024 semester. After the last day of the Spring semester, any unused dining dollars will be forfeited. Students are encouraged to make a plan to spend all of their dining dollars during the academic year!
If you have specific questions about the meal plan, contact the Residence Life office with questions at email@example.com or 312.629.6870 between the hours of 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (CST).
Get More Info
Health and Safety Inspections are mid-semester inspections to ensure that rooms do not have any fire safety concerns and are reasonably clean. Your RA will advertise specific times that they will complete these inspections. You do not need to be present for the inspection. To prepare, please remove trash, wash dishes, clean surfaces, and remove excessive clutter prior to these inspections. Also, we encourage you to review the student handbook to ensure there are no policy violations. Keep an eye on the bulletin boards by elevators and the Residence Life Instagram for details about health and safety inspections. Reach out to your RA or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding these inspections.
LaundryView is an Internet application that allows you to monitor the status of washers and dryers in connected laundry rooms through a web browser. LaundryView was developed in response to requests for greater control over laundry activities. Since many people tend to do their laundry during similar time periods, it results in busy laundry rooms. LaundryView's mission is to help you save time by providing information about the current state of laundry room equipment wherever you have access to a browser or email messages.
If you have any issues or concerns with your space, please submit a work order for our engineers to assist. If you have an immediate room issue, please call the RA on Call for your specific building, or go to the 1st floor security desk for assistance. (Note, RA on Call is only available from 6pm-8am during weekdays, but available 24 hours on weekends starting at 6:00 p.m.)
Intention forms open on October 18––this is a form where we ask all students living on campus to inform us of their plans for the spring semester. Do you love your room & roommate assignment? Are you graduating and moving out? Do you want to explore living with another friend on campus? Students will need to fill out this form in the SAIC Housing Portal by November 1.
Students will be asked to inform Residence Life of their plans for winter break. Access to campus will be restricted so we want to make sure all the students who plan to stay on campus have proper access. Forms for the fall 2023 semester will open in late November.