Facilities & Resources
The extensive and recently renovated Visual Communication Design department facilities include:
- Graduate Studios with office or studio workstations
- Networked computer software template
- Large screen monitors
- Resource room (design journals, media, and publications)
- SAIC Service Bureau (binding, papers, and large format printing)
- Fully equipped letterpress and type shop
Freelance, Internships, and Job Placement
In addition, Chicago's vibrant design community offers the opportunity for professional practice in every configuration of studio, media, and project type. Museums, nonprofit organizations, galleries, arts and theater organizations, recognized professional design studios, a thriving business community, and a multicultural patchwork of small economies all feed creative production here.
Freelance projects are posted in the Visual Communication Design Resource Room and design internships are coordinated through the school Co-op office. Students are prepared for professional placement through the course VCD 3009 Professional Practice, a course that addresses portfolio development, résumé writing, interviewing strategies, and job hunting.