SAIC Study Trips will resume in summer 2023! Upcoming information sessions and trip details can be found here. An information session was also held on December 2, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. to review trip options and registration details via Zoom. View the recording here.
Below you will find step-by-step registration instructions for SAIC study trips.
Registration for study trips takes place online via SAIC Self-Service. Your study trip experience is only two steps away!
Step 1: Preregistration
Preregistration and Info Sessions begin the week of January 30, 2023
Preregister via SAIC Self-Service. We open pre-registration at the end of January. Select the Other Services Non-Mobile tile on your laptop. This is NOT accessible on mobile phones.
Preregistration is mandatory for all students who plan to register for a study trip. It is REQUIRED to access to Step 2 (registration, deposit payment, waiver completion). If you are still researching options, Preregistration can help you decide—it is an easy process with important information that applies to all SAIC faculty-led study trips.
Completing Preregistration does not register you for a study trip. By reviewing the details under each tab/section and indicating your agreement, you will be confirming your eligibility and accepting the terms of participation should you successfully register for a trip. It is a required step to move to Step 2 (registration, deposit payment, form completion). After successfully completing Preregistration, you will receive email notification with more details about Step 2.
Financial Aid Priority: Complete Preregistration by February 15
Submit a financial aid application as part of Preregistration. If you are eligible for financial aid, and you complete Preregistration by the financial aid priority date above, Student Financial Services will review it and issue a response prior to study trip registration. Be aware that any funds awarded will not be available for use as your study trip deposit. Note that this is not the final deadline for financial aid applications. You can still submit an application after the priority deadline and SFS will review it as soon as possible.
Register, pay deposit, and complete a waiver and a Health Disclosure via SAIC Self-Service
Step 2A: Register for your class
Online registration begins: Summer 2023 study trips: March 15, 2023
8:45 a.m. - Graduate students, post-baccalaureate students, seniors, and juniors
12:00 p.m. - Sophomores
- You can select a study trip reservation in the same way you usually register for on-campus courses, until each trip reaches capacity. Credit type and the amount of credits (e.g., 3 credit studio and/or 3 credit art history) will be added to your registration late.
- You must have already completed Preregistration to get access to study trip registration (Step 2). Check your account in advance and clear any holds that may prevent your ability to register. A waiting list will be available at the Registrar's Office if the trip is already full.
Step 2B: Pay Your Study Trip Deposit
After you successfully register on or after March 11, you must pay a nonrefundable $525 deposit within 24 hours in order to secure your place. Payment can be made by credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express, or MasterCard) or by electronic check (ACH) via the TransAct link in the My Account section of Self-Service. You may also pay by paper check or money order in US currency at:
SAIC Bursar's Office: Sharp Building, 37 S. Wabash Ave., room 245
Important: As study trip deposits are nonrefundable, do not pay your deposit before you have successfully registered for the trip.
Each participant is required to read, understand, and sign a waiver within 24 hours of registering as well as complete a health disclosure. These must be submitted in SAIC Self-Service as soon as you make your deposit. Access them at Study Trips Step 2 under the Other Services Non-Mobile tile on your laptop. (Not accessible on a mobile phone).
Read them in advance to become familiar with SAIC policies.
- Legal Waiver
- Health Disclosure
- Study Abroad Alcohol Use Guidelines
- Cancellation Agreement
- Covid-19 Travel Waiver (This will be a paper form completed and submitted to Study Abroad)
Failure to make your non-refundable deposit and agree to each item outlined in the Waiver tab within 24 hours may drop you from the course.
After registering, each participant must return to the Study Trip link in SAIC Self-Service to complete the My Travel Info tab by a specified due date soon after registration. Here is a copy of the tab:
Other information that must be submitted to Study Abroad:
- A copy of your passport (for international trips)
Academic and Other Requirements
All usual academic requirements must be met in order to register for a study trip. For example, to register for Art History credits, a student must have completed both parts of the Survey of Art History; for Liberal Arts, all English requirements must be completed. Undergraduate students must have completed 30 credits at the time of registration.
Some study trips may require an application and study trip leaders' approval before registration. If so, this will be listed on the trip description in Course Options.
The following students are not eligible to register for study trips:
- First-year undergraduate students who have successfully completed less than 30 credits at SAIC at the time of registration (unless a particular study trip has been designated for first-year undergraduates)
- Students currently on disciplinary probation or subject to any other disciplinary sanction
- Students currently on academic probation
- Students who have received a "No Credit" grade for a previous study trip
The following students' study trip participation will be reviewed:
- Students who become subject to academic or disciplinary sanction after registration. Note: a student whose study trip registration is canceled as a result of this review must appeal to the Refund Review Committee for refund of fees.