Summer Institute Residency Program
Intense. Rigorous. Life Changing.
Early College Program Summer Institute (ECPSI) at the Nation's Most Influential Art and Design School!
Summer 2020 Early College Program Summer Institute Courses
While we are committed to nurturing the creative development of artists, designers, and scholars, the COVID-19 pandemic requires us to continue to be diligent in considering their safety, the health of our campus community, and the well-being of our shared society. With this in mind, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our in-person program scheduled to take place this summer.
NEW! Early College Program Online Summer Institute
SAIC is committed to helping you grow and progress as artists and designers this summer, and is excited to be launching our Early College Program Online Summer Institute, led by our highly acclaimed faculty of artists and designers. You’ll join peers from around the globe to create portfolio-quality work, deepen your understanding of contemporary art making, and earn college credit. Experience dynamic virtual demos, engage in group critiques, and receive the ideal blend of one-on-one meeting time with faculty and independent exploration.
Why Early College Program Summer Institute (ECPSI)?
- Study with our amazing faculty, passionate teachers and acclaimed practicing artists, designers, and scholars, many of whom teach in the undergraduate program.
- Make use of our state-of-the-art facilities and resources including our museum, the Art Institute of Chicago, the third largest collection of art in the world.
- Live in our incomparable residence halls in the heart of downtown Chicago.
- Explore Chicago in the summer - vibrant, exciting, and friendly.
Ideal Preparation for a Creative Future
- Earn college credit (2 credit hours for 2-week session; 4 credits hours for 4-week session) that may transfer to any college you attend.
- Prepare a competitive portfolio for college admission.
- Successful completion of the program waives the portfolio requirement for admission to SAIC's undergraduate program
- A large number of ECPSI students receive top merit scholarships to our undergraduate degree program.
Students must be at least 15 years old and not older than 18 years and have completed their sophomore year of high school to enroll in the ECP Summer Institute.
Ideas Matter Here
Which is why we empower you with the freedom to work in multiple media. With us, you can incorporate text into paintings, combine performance and sculpture, and explore the relationship of sound to architecture. The possibilities are truly limitless. And, you will leave our program with higher confidence and innovative, portfolio-quality work.
"We want our students to be able to master not just one medium, but to have the freedom to move and explore throughout different disciplines; to experiment; to take risks; to find the right solution for each individual problem. Our interdisciplinary philosophy, accomplished by excellent, enthusiastic faculty, the third largest collection of art in the world, and one of the most exciting cities in the country, make SAIC the whole package." —Rafael Vera, ECPSI instructor
Enrollment: Approximately 150 students per two-week session
Students living on campus: 90%
International students: 17%
Countries represented: Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Egypt, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Mexico, Russian Federation, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela
Instructional staff to student ratio 1:8
SAIC welcomes international students from abroad and those already in the United States with a student visa to enroll in all of our Continuing Studies programs including ECP and ECP Summer Institute (ECPSI). However, SAIC is not certified to issue immigration documents for international students participating in Continuing Education programs except for our ECPSI program.