The U.S. government requires that all international applicants provide the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) with evidence of their ability to pay a full year of tuition and living expenses before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) may be issued. You will be invited to submit the necessary documents through the Terra Dotta Portal via your SAIC email To apply for your I-20, prepare the following documents and provide them to International Affairs:
- Completed Statement of Financial Support Form
- Bank statement showing a full year of available funding
- Copy of your passport biographical page
- International Declaration of Intent Form
Once you receive your invitation from SAIC to create your Terra Dotta Portal, please follow the instructions on how to submit your I-20 request. You can find a detailed guide below:
If you are admitted to SAIC, you will be contacted by International Affairs for copies of these documents and instructions for their completion.
SAIC will issue your I-20 and mail it to the address listed on the Statement of Financial Support.
Students Transferring from Another U.S. Institution
If you are currently in F-1 visa status transferring from another institution in the United States you must request that your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record be transferred to SAIC. The SEVIS record may be transferred the day after completing studies at your current school. You should only request to transfer your SEVIS record after being fully admitted to SAIC. To transfer your record to SAIC:
- Complete Transfer Release Form with your current international advisor. You should provide your current international advisor with a copy of your SAIC Admission Letter.
- Submit the Statement of Financial Support, bank statement and copy of your passport to International Affairs.
- International Affairs will issue your new SAIC I-20 Form.
Your SAIC I-20 will either be mailed to you or given to you in person if you are in Chicago.
Your unexpired F-1 visa may list your old school but will remain valid for travel with an SAIC I-20 if your SEVIS record is transferred to us without a break in study. Please contact our office if you have any questions.
SAIC's school code is CHI214F01058000
Students who will be accompanied by a spouse and/or a child/children must complete the Dependent Supplement Form and provide photocopies of each dependent’s passport to obtain a form I-20 to apply for an F-2 visa. Evidence of additional funding is required as specified on the form.