All Academic Advising appointments are now virtual! Academic Advisors are available to meet with you by phone or on Google Hangouts Meet to discuss your course and registration questions. We encourage you to schedule virtual advising appointments through Navigate! You can also schedule by calling us at 312.629.6800. You can also reach out with quick questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn how to use Google Hangouts Meet by viewing the PDF below:
General Advising Appointment
Preparing for a general advising appointment can make a big difference in what you get out of it. To get the most valuable advice and information from meeting with an academic advisor:
Do your research
- The SAIC website or your Self-Service may already have the answer. Look at those resources to gather information
- Talk to appropriate departments or offices that relate to your question or concern
- Consult with your support system
Come with specific questions and arrive prepared
- Bring questions so you don't forget anything important
- Have relevant information and emails on hand
Accept the GCal invite and add appointment to your calendar<
- Set up a reminder on your phone the day or hour before your appointment to ensure you don’t join late or miss your appointment
- Arrive a few minutes early so you have enough time to check the connection and make the most of your scheduled time
- Arriving more than 10 minutes late to your appointment may result in cancellation
- If you are unable to make your appointment, please alert the advising office or your advisor by phone or email
Pre-Registration, also known as "Pre-Reg," is a required meeting with your Academic Advisor to review your course selections for the upcoming semester. Pre-registration is required for the first four semesters for first-time freshmen and the first two semesters for transfer students. Pre-registration occurs in October/November and February/March. You'll be assigned a 30 minute time slot and will be contacted at your SAIC email address to schedule your appointment.
Prior to meeting with an advisor for a Pre-Registration appointment, here are some things you may want to consider:
Review your remaining credits
- Download your Advisement Summary through SAIC Self-Service
- Directions for how to find and read your Advisement Summary can be found in the Student Guide to Accessing Academic Information
- In Self-Service, under Tasks, you will find a list of any holds on your account.
- Click on each hold to find out when the hold will become "active," and who to contact should the hold already be active. You will need to speak to someone about resolving the hold.
- Registration with Permissions holds are placed by Academic Advising. These holds are lifted after your required Pre-Registration meeting. Please note, a hold may still be listed on your account but not be "active." Pay attention to the date on the hold as that will tell you when the hold will be active.
- Review available courses through SAIC Self-Service, course search, or via hard copy at the Registration and Records office
- Review Faculty Course at evaluations.saic.edu
- Instructions on how to access course evaluations
- Gather samples of your work (e.g., writing samples, slides, etc.) that will help your advisor get to know your and enable them to provide personalized feedback