Library renovations in progress until Fall semester begins:
Design by Kwong Von Glinow
As announced at the spring All Faculty and Staff Meeting, the John M. Flaxman Library will undergo an exciting renovation project later this spring and summer. The project includes long awaited and much needed enhancements to the 5th floor of the library, specifically the Library Special Collections / Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection, offices, and collection storage areas. These improvements to the 5th floor create more community space, increase natural light, establish a larger and more efficient Special Collections Reading Room for classes and individual researchers, increase capacity, and bring storage spaces up to archival standards to preserve our collections. Renovations to the 6th floor of the library will result in efficiencies of space, plus create a visual and physical connection between our two floors, making the library easier to navigate and more accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause as we work to improve our spaces for the community. We look forward to welcoming you to our new Library and Special Collections this fall!
Construction will begin in April and be completed by the end of the summer to welcome the community into the new space for the fall semester. Most of the Library's Special Collections and all library materials in storage will be inaccessible during this time. However, we will continue doing everything possible to support teaching and learning at SAIC.
Dates to be Mindful of
May 1 - The library classroom, media viewing room, and individual playback stations will be closed starting May 1 until the start of fall 2023.
May 14-29 - Library closed between spring and summer semesters - no physical materials available. Books and DVDs may be returned via the 1st floor drop boxes (Sharp Lobby). Staff and library services will be available via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
May 30-June 11 - Library closed for renovation - no physical materials available. Books and DVDs may be returned via the 1st floor drop boxes (Sharp Lobby). Staff and library services will be available via email: email@example.com.
Library Special Collections
Beginning April 1, the Flaxman Library Special Collections will be closed in preparation for and during the 5th floor renovation. This closure will impact our services and access to the Joan Flasch Artists’ Books Collection, all archival collections, and the 16mm Film Study Collection.
There will be no 16mm film access after April 1. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
For summer courses requesting artists’ books, we plan on continuing to support class visits by maintaining a limited collection of work that we can provide access to in an alternate instructional space. Please contact Special Collections staff at email@example.com.
- The library (6th floor) will remain open until the end of spring semester.
- Items in storage will be unavailable April 1 through fall 2023. Requests for those items can be redirected to I-Share or Interlibrary Loan. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Beginning May 15, the 6th floor will be closed for a few weeks. Online resources will be available, staff will provide research services virtually, and will answer questions via email: email@example.com. No physical materials from the main collections or I-Share will be available for pick up. Items can be returned via the 1st floor drop boxes (Sharp Lobby).
- Starting April 17, Flaxman Library oversize books and audio CDs will be unavailable until fall 2023. The library classroom, meeting room, and media viewing room will also be closed during this time.
- Faculty may still ask that the library purchase titles for their classes. Please continue to use our Suggest a New Purchase Form.
Throughout the renovations and closures, we encourage you to utilize our online resources:
SAIC Digital Collections
Artists’ Books Resources
Remote Learning with Online Library Resources Guide