Newly Admitted International Student: Arrival and Orientation

Spring 2023 International Student Oriention

  • Undergraduate Students: For the Spring 2023 New Student Orientation and Welcome Week schedule, click here 

Getting to SAIC
Traveling to SAIC from O'Hare Airport

For a shuttle from the airport, visit Airport Express: SAIC Airport Transfer Reservations and select Arrival > One Way. Fill in your information for your availability, and select service (the most economical is Shared Van Service, valued around $40 USD). You must provide payment using a credit card and you will receive a confirmation from Airport Express. A 10 percent discount applies for SAIC students.

Airport Express also has ticket counters located at O'Hare Airport on the baggage claim level in each terminal: Terminal 1 (door 1E), Terminal 2 (door 2E), Terminal 3 (door 3E), and Terminal 5 (door 5D) and at Midway Airport across from the Southwest Airlines baggage claim.

Only use authorized taxis from the airports. Authorized taxi stands will be clearly marked outside baggage claim areas, with an attendant assisting. Do not accept rides from taxi/limo services that approach you outside the designated taxi stand area/queue.

Private limousine services are also available. Companies that service both O’Hare and Midway airports include A1 Limousine Service and O'Hare-Midway Limousine Service. Rates vary and can typically be around $70 for one to three passengers (for first available vehicle—sedan, stretch, SUV, etc.).

Please direct further questions to Campus Life at 312.629.6880 or email:

Port of Entry Information

When you enter the United States, you will need to clear Customs and Border Protection at your Port of Entry. Go to the US Department of Homeland Security’s website for an outline of the process.

Important Reminder about Electronic I-94 Numbers

US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) issues electronic I-94 entry records. All traveler information is entered electronically. Paper I-94 entry record cards are no longer issued except in rare circumstances.

If you need an I-94 number to apply for benefits you can visit the CBP website to print out a paper copy of your I-94 to use in the application process. For example, you will need to print a paper I-94 to apply for a Social Security number, driver’s license, state ID, and to complete the I-9 packet which is required to work on campus.

If you were issued a paper I-94 entry record card prior to May 2013, you may continue to use this paper I-94 card up until your next departure. The next time you depart the United States and re-enter, you will be issued an electronic I-94 entry record and will need to print it out yourself.

For more information, please visit the CBP website which describes the electronic I-94 card and instructions.

I-94 Fact Sheet [PDF]