Hiring International Students
International students are eligible for Work-Study positions at SAIC. If hired, here are a few things to consider:
- International students are restricted to a total of 20 hours per week, all jobs combined, during the fall and spring semesters. This includes TA/GA positions and other on-campus jobs. Students may work up to 40 hours a week combined during the winter and summer terms.
- Students must complete I-9 paperwork, which may include having to apply for a Social Security number. Student Financial Services provides a step-by-step process for the student to follow.
- Work must be on-campus. International students are never permitted to work off-campus unless they are authorized by International Affairs.
- For instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Number click here:
International students are never authorized to work off-campus without prior authorization from International Affairs. Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of immigration law, and the student will be required to leave the country. Even volunteer and unpaid work is also considered a violation of status if not previously authorized.
If you are authorized by International Affairs to work off-campus and need to apply for a Social Security Number, please follow the instructions here:
Internships and Fieldwork
An international student engaging in an off-campus internship or fieldwork must receive authorization from International Affairs prior to beginning work. The internship or fieldwork must be credit bearing and an integral part of the degree program.
Most international students participating in an internship will work with the Career and Professional Experience (CAPX) to complete Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization paperwork. CPT authorization paperwork and a copy of the student’s class schedule must be submitted to International Affairs and approved PRIOR to beginning the internship.
Students participating in Art Therapy, Art Education, or Teaching programs will have their placement coordinator in their department complete the CPT paperwork and submit it with a copy of their class schedule reflecting the required fieldwork credits PRIOR to beginning their fieldwork.
Download CPT forms here:
- CPT Application Form [PDF]
- CPT Graduate Internships and Fieldwork [PDF]
- CPT Undergraduate Internships and Fieldwork [PDF]
Learn about study away, study trips, and exchange programs.