SAIC Semester-Away programs are open to undergraduates who have completed 30 credits and wish to study at one of our official exchange partner schools for one semester. An information session was held on December 8, 2022 and you can view the recording here. Semester away through one of SAIC's official exchange programs is one option to fulfill the six credit off-campus study requirement. During the program, students are enrolled at SAIC and financial aid is available.
How to Apply for a Semester Away in Three Easy Steps:
1.Research Your Options
Students are encouraged to begin planning for a study away experience early in their SAIC careers and ideally one year before travel. As we resume our programs, we know students may have abbreviated timelines and Study Abroad will do as much as they can to support students through the process. Students must attend or review the Semester-Long Exchange Program Information Session before meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor or submitting an application. Below your can find the recording of the information session that was held in December. Study Abroad also maintains a collection of past participant essays that are available for review. If you are interested in reviewing these, please contact Study Abroad office.
Semester-Long Exchange Program Information Sessions (link to the recording is below)
Thursday, December 8, 2022
View the recording here
Additional tips when researching programs:
- Visit host school websites to familiarize yourself with programs and course offerings
- Read past participant essays housed in the Study Abroad office
- Brush up on your foreign language skills with Flaxman's web-based language tools
- Evaluate program costs early to help you build a plan for funding. See Financing Study Away to get started
- Contact Study Abroad with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Study Abroad strives to make international education an equally viable and accessible educational option for all SAIC students. If you are unsure if study abroad is right for you, we encourage you to meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss any doubts or concerns you may have. In addition, the following SAIC and outside resources may be helpful in building your plan for study abroad:
- SAIC Disability and Learning Resources Center
- SAIC Multicultural Affairs
- Mobility International USA
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG
2. Apply to Semester Away with the Study Abroad Review Panel
Before applying to the host school/program, students must first apply to and gain approval from the Study Abroad Review Panel. Applications are due the semester prior to the proposed study away period: February 15* for Fall 2023 semester away, September 15* for Spring 2024 semester away. *If the 15th falls on a weekend, we will accept applications on the following Monday.
Application period for the Fall 2023 semester away is now closed. Applications for Spring 2024 semester away will open at the end of August. Applications will be due by September 15.
- Semester Away Study Abroad Application Form (pages 1-5)
- Portfolio Inventory in Application Form
- Portoflio submitted via USB or link to online website
- Proposal/Artist Statement in Application Form
- Degree Audit completed by your Academic Advisor. Please plan ahead and make an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from SAIC Faculty.
*This process may be moved to a fully online system, please check back in summer for further details.
3. Apply to host school/program
Students approved by the Study Away Review Panel meet individually with a Study Abroad Advisor to prepare the host school/program application. Review process, admission rate, and notification timelines differ depending on the chosen host school(s).