Student Visa & I-20 Process

Our International Affairs team will help guide you through the immigration process. The two most common types of visas for our students are: 

  1. The F-1 student visa, which is used by most students.
  2. The J-1 exchange visitor (student category) visa which is designed for non-privately sponsored students, such as those whose funding comes from their government, the Fulbright Commission, or those who are SAIC exchange participants. 

For both temporary visas, you must be enrolled full-time during the academic year. 

Canadian Citizens

While Canadian citizens also enter as F-1 students on SAIC-issued immigration documentation, Canadian students are exempt from the actual visa application process. 

Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) 

The US government requires that all international applicants provide SAIC with evidence of your ability to pay a full year of tuition and living expenses before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) may be issued. To apply for your I-20, you will need to prepare the following documents: 

  • Completed immigration and financial matters packet 
  • Bank statement showing a full year of available funding 
  • Copy of your passport biographical page 
  • International declaration of intent 

Learn more about immigration and visas on the International Affairs website.