Prompt reporting of injuries and illnesses can lead to better health outcomes and lower costs for worker's compensation claims. When an employee experiences an injury or illness arising out of and in the course of his or her work duties, it is important for procedures to be strictly followed in order to ensure the employee receives prompt medical attention. Immediate notice of the injury or illness allows for an investigation of the claim to begin and a timely determination to be made concerning compensability, causation, and prevention.
Timely reporting involves a proactive and coordinated response among all involved. Below are AIC/SAIC injury and illness reporting procedures. Should you have any questions please contact Human Resources— Records at 312.629.3373.
Injury and Illness Reporting Procedures
Faculty, staff, and student workers who have an injury or illness:
- Report injuries and illnesses to your supervisor immediately following the incident or as soon as possible.
- If your supervisor is not available, report the incident to another supervisor or manager in your department.
- If medical attention is needed, complete the Medical Authorization Form and proceed to Concentra at 1230 West Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607. 312.666.0028.
- Contact Concentra for transportation.
- Return any medical documentation (i.e., work restrictions, return to work notices) to Human Resources—Records.
Managers, supervisors, and department heads of injured or ill person:
- Facilitate the provision of medical care as needed.
- Complete the Supervisor Report Form and deliver it to Human Resources— Records within four hours of the incident or as soon as possible. If your supervisor is not available, report the incident to another supervisor or manager in your department.
- Notify the Associate Director Environmental Health and Safety for the museum at 312.443.3928 or school at 312.499.4924.
- Any witnesses to the incident should provide written statements and attach them to the injury report.
- Actively work with Environmental Health and Safety to investigate the accident and implement loss prevention measures.
Students (non-student workers):
- Report all injuries and illnesses to campus security or your instructor immediately.
- If medical attention is needed, proceed to the following locations for medical treatment:
116 S. Michigan Ave., 13th floor
Michigan Ave. Immediate Care
180 N. Michigan Ave., suite 1605
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.,
Saturday 9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Northwestern Emergency Room
250 E. Erie, St.
- Cab coupons are available at the security desk.
- Faculty must complete the Instructors Report of a Student Related Accident form for injuries involving students within four hours of the injury or as soon as possible. Return form to IRFM— Environmental Health and Safety.