Events and Visitors
Student Group Events
In order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, all student group/organization events and meetings must occur virtually.
A visitor is any individual who is not a currently enrolled student in good standing or active employee for SAIC. To promote reduced campus density, only the following approved visitors will be allowed:
Prospective Students and their Families/Guests
Prospective students and their families/guests may tour SAIC’s campus and facilities as part of an official, approved visit provided that they are escorted while on campus.
Department heads may request special access if an essential guest cannot reasonably contribute to a class remotely. Requests must be made at least three business days in advance to Campus Security by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Department Heads will be notified by email if a request is approved. If approved, access will be restricted to the specific course period and building where the guest is participating. The faculty member teaching the course must escort the guest at all times and ensure the guest follows all elements of our shared responsibilities.
Contractors performing work that cannot be done off-site, specifically Food for Thought staff, housekeeping services, facilities contractors (i.e., those providing an essential service such as repairing an elevator), and security personnel will have access only as required to complete their work. All facilities contractors will be approved by the Instructional Resources and Facilities Management office.
Residence Hall Visitors
Guests and visitors, including but not limited to other SAIC students, parents, friends, and family members, are not allowed in the residence hall unless they are helping a student move in during the student’s scheduled moving time. For only this purpose, students are allowed to have one visitor assist them, and the approved visitor cannot stay overnight. Students moving into the residence halls will be sent the specific visitor procedure prior to their scheduled move in date.
Visitors to SAIC Galleries
SAIC Galleries welcomes students, faculty, and staff and members of the public to visit in person by appointment only. SAIC is following all guidelines from the Chicago Department of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other local and national health authorities. There are practices in place to mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- In order to manage occupancy, we ask that visitors make a reservation in advance for a timed entry.
- To protect the health of those both on and off campus, all visitors to SAIC Galleries, including SAIC students, faculty, and staff; families and friends of exhibiting artists; and the general public, must abide by our shared responsibilities, which require everyone on SAIC’s campus to monitor their health, maintain physical distance, and practice good hygiene.
- Face coverings are required for your entire visit.
- A six-foot distance must be maintained from those not part of your visiting group.
- Anyone feeling unwell should postpone their visit for another time.
Access to Campus for Approved Visitors
While approved visitors are on campus, they must be escorted by a student, faculty, or staff member.
Visitors to faculty or staff may only be granted access if a faculty or staff member is present at the security desk to sign them in; thereafter, the faculty or staff member must escort the visitor at all times.
Visitors who are unaccompanied, or do not otherwise follow this visitor procedure, will be asked to immediately leave the building.
Students, faculty, or staff who bring visitors into any SAIC building in violation of this policy may lose after-hours access to campus facilities and be subject to disciplinary action.
Visitors over the age of 18 will verify their identity by showing government-issued photo identification, such as a state-issued ID or passport, having their photograph taken and being issued a visitor ID label prior to enter the building. The Visitor's ID must be presented upon request. Visitors under the age of 18 will not be allowed on campus, unless they are part of a tour group led by the Office of Admissions.
SAIC Class of 2020 Alums
From September 2, 2020–October 31, 2020, SAIC alums who graduated in the spring of 2020 are able to be on campus only if they are using campus resources and facilities, such as the Advanced Output Center, instructional fabrication facilities and shops, John M. Flaxman Library and Special Collections, Material Source, Media Centers, or the Service Bureau.
SAIC’s Shared Responsibilities
All approved visitors must adhere to SAIC’s shared responsibilities:
- Visitors must review their symptoms before coming to campus. If a visitor has any symptoms of COVID-19, they will be prohibited from SAIC’s campus buildings.
- Visitors must maintain a physical distance of at least six feet between themselves and others whenever possible.
- Visitors must wear an approved face covering or mask over their nose and mouth while on campus. Washable cloth face coverings or disposable single-use masks are recommended. Bandanas, neck gaiters, and masks with a relief valve are prohibited.
- Visitors must wash their hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (or use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol); avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth; practice respiratory etiquette by covering all sneezes and coughs; and disinfect shared spaces.
- Visitors must remain informed by checking the latest updates at saic.edu/makeready and demonstrate respect for community members.
SAIC “hosts” who invite visitors to campus should consider whether in-person, on-campus interaction is necessary and should use remote and virtual options whenever possible.