Graduate Admissions: Next Steps
SAIC is located in the heart of downtown Chicago, easily accessible from many of the city's historic and diverse neighborhoods. The Residence Life office staff can serve as a resource to you as you seek off-campus housing.
SAIC has partnered with Places4Students to provide students a free and effective, online off-campus housing search database. Because the free listing database is provided exclusively for SAIC Students, you will be asked to go through a simple registration process and your password will be sent to your SAIC email account within seconds.
Residence Life has also created the Off Campus Housing Guide for your convenience. This guide will walk you through the ins and outs of apartment searching in the city of Chicago. The guide also provides a number of important phone numbers and other contact information for essential utilities such as Commonwealth Edison and People's Gas.
Housing invitation offers are sent on a weekly, rolling basis to admitted students. Your invitation letter provides your username and password information for the Residence Life Application site.
Students who wish to live on campus should:
- Login to the Residence Life Application site
- Enter preferences for building, room, bed type, and lifestyle choices
- Mail or fax a signed copy of your housing contract (available online) to: School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Attention:
Residence Life Office
36 S. Wabash Ave., suite 1203
Chicago, IL 60603
- Pay your $550 housing payment through SAIC Self-Service. A link to Self-Service is provided under the Quick Links on the Students Dashboard. You may also send a check or money order to the Residence Life office at the address above.
- Once the Residence Life office has received and processed your signed housing contact and prepayment, you will receive an email notification (TO YOUR SAIC EMAIL ADDRESS ONLY) that you have secured a space on campus.
- Room assignments and roommate contact information will be available the second week of August.
2015 Move-In Dates
New International Students (first years, transfers, and grads) may move in on Sunday, August 23, from 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
New Domestic Students (first years, transfers and grads) may move in on Saturday, August 29. Please see the appropriate times listed below.
Jones Hall Residents: New Domestic Students may arrive anytime between 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
162 North State Street Residences Residents: New Domestic Students will be assigned times to arrive based on their room assignments. This will be available closer to the move-in date.
Learn more about SAIC Housing.
Other services offered by Residence Life include:
- How to find an apartment and/or roommate
- Leasing and tenant responsibilities
- What hostels are available in Chicago
- Where to buy groceries and other necessary items
- How to utilize public transportation (trains, busses, etc.)
Contact Residence Life at 312.629.6870 or email@example.com.
Register for Classes
Schedule a registration appointment:
Beginning March 31, contact the Academic Advisor listed below. Registration will begin April 14, and appointments are available on a first come, first served basis.
If you schedule a phone appointment, your Academic Advisor will call you at a phone number you designate to help select your courses. Appointments will last between 30–45 minutes.
You may also come to campus and meet with your Academic Advisor to register for classes. Beginning March 31, you may schedule your appointment for in-person registration sessions that will begin on April 14.
|MFA, MDes, and Post-Bacc Studio Programs||Contact Name||Phone/Email|
|Art and Technology||Jeff Armstrong||312.345.3539
|Design for Emerging Technologies||Scott Ramon||312.629.6103
|Designed Objects||Scott Ramon||312.629.6103
|Fiber and Material Studies||Karolina Gnatkowski and Katie Loomis||312.899.7407
|Film, Video, New Media, and Animation||Jeff Armstrong||312.345.3539
|Painting and Drawing—MFA only||Eric Lebofsky||312.345.3593
|Painting and Drawing—Post-Bacc only||Patrick "Q" Quilao||312.629.6105
|Visual Communication Design||BJ Krivanek and Anne Nepokroeff||312.899.5135
|MFA in Writing||Amber Da||312.629.1876
|MDes and Post-Bacc Fashion, Body and Garment (FBG)||Conrad Hamather and Michelle Maynard||312.629.6710
|MA and MS Programs||Contact Name||Phone/Email|
|Arts Administration & Policy||Shay DeGrandis||312.345.3788
|Art Education||Rebecca Keller||312.899.7481
|Art Teaching||Karyn Sandlos||312.899.7481
|Art Therapy||Randy Vick||312.899.7481
|Dual Degree—Arts Administration & Policy and Modern and Contemporary Art History||Daniel Quiles||312.899.1232
|Historic Preservation||Anne Sullivan||312.443.7277
|Modern and Contemporary Art History||Shay Degrandis||312.345.3788
|New Arts Journalism||Shay Degrandis||312.345.3788
|Visual and Critical Studies||Teena McClelland||312.345.3788
|AIADO Programs||Contact Name||Phone/Email|
|Master of Architecture||Scott Ramon||312.629.6103
|Master of Architecture with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture||Scott Ramon||312.629.6103
|Master of Design in Designed Objects||Scott Ramon||312.629.6103
Make Payment Arrangements
Student Financial Services is dedicated to helping you through the process of financing your education at SAIC and has provided multiple ways to manage your payments, including payment plans which stretch your tuition payments over the course of the semester.
Beginning in July, tuition and fee bills will be mailed monthly if you have a balance due, or if you have had account activity since the last monthly bill. AIADO laptop charges will be billed separately.
Payment in full or payment arrangements of any balance not covered by financial aid is required prior to the start of each semester in order to avoid late fees, restriction of access on campus, and prevention from future registration and release of academic transcripts/diplomas.
Bills are sent to your billing address as listed in SAIC Self-Service. If a billing address is not available, your bill will be mailed to your permanent address.
Payment Options (made payable in U.S. currency)
Cash, check, or money order (made payable in U.S. currency)
SAIC's Bursar's Office
37 S. Wabash Ave., room 711
Chicago, IL 60603
SAIC's Bursar's Office, Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Credit Card, or Automated Check Handling (ACH)
- Made online through SAIC Self-Service
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express accepted
- To allow parents/guardians to make payments, you will need to set up an authorized user account for them
- A service fee is charged for credit card payments, but not for ACH payments
Tuition and Fee Payment Plan
- Four-payment semester plan available
- Payment plan enrollment fee—$50 per semester
- Enroll online through SAIC Self-Service
- Early July: Fall charges and payment plans available
- Late July: First fall bill mailed
- August 1: AIADO students ONLY—Laptop payment in full or laptop payment arrangements due
- Early August: Tuition payments or payment arrangements due
- September 2: Health insurance waivers due to Student Financial Services
Contact the Graduate Admissions office at 800.232.7242 or 312.629.6100.