Integrated Academic Advising
Academic Advising provides you ongoing partnership, support, and advocacy as you navigate SAIC’s interdisciplinary curriculum and map out your unique degree plan. From the summer before your first semester through graduation, your academic advisor will be a vital resource for you.
Advisors for first-year students are integrated into Research Studio, a required first year course, and are required to meet with students every term during the first two years. Transfer students are required to meet with their faculty-advisors for their first two terms.
We encourage you to meet with your advisors beyond your required visits. They can help you with:
- Select courses, plan your schedule, and register for courses
- Add or drop a course
- Withdraw from a course
- Informally critique your work
- Appeal academic and refund decisions
- Check your credit progress as graduation approaches
- Resolve course concerns and mediate conflicts
- Work through issues listed on course progress reports
- Switch programs
- Take classes off campus
- Substitute or waive course credit
- Return from a leave of absence
- Obtain food assistance
While academic advisors can help, it remains your responsibility to know and to meet all academic requirements. Schedule an appointment by calling the Academic Advising office at 312.629.6800.