Academic Advising at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is more than a routine approval of classes. It is an ongoing dialogue that helps guide freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and transfer students as they plan their unique educational path through SAIC’s interdisciplinary curriculum.
Advisors work closely with faculty to provide a supportive environment for you. They can help you identify your strengths, challenge you to try new media, and help you choose courses. You can also consult an advisor about personal concerns and questions about policies and procedures.
Academic Advising can help you:
- Select courses, plan your schedule, and register for courses
- Add or drop a course
- Withdraw from a course
- Informally critique your work
- Appeal academic and refund decisions
- Check your credit progress as graduation approaches
- Resolve course concerns and mediate conflicts
- Work through issues listed on course progress reports
- Switch programs
- Take classes off campus
- Substitute or waive course credit
- Return from a leave of absence
- Obtain food assistance
While academic advisors can help, it remains your responsibility to know and to meet all academic requirements. Schedule an appointment by calling the Academic Advising office at 312.629.6800.