Education Tax Credits & 1098-T

Education Tax Credits

American Opportunity (Hope Credit extended) and the Lifetime Learning Credit

Education tax credits can help offset the costs of education. The American Opportunity (Hope Credit extended) and the Lifetime Learning Credit are education credits you can subtract in full from the federal income tax, not just deduct from taxable income. These incentives come in a couple of forms: tax credits, which directly reduce the amount of tax you are liable for, and tax deductions, which reduce the amount of income on which you pay taxes.

Helpful information can be found at the following websites:


IRS—Education Credits

IRS—Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center

NASFAA—Tax Breaks for Higher Education

Tax Credit Eligibility Tool

IRS—Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?

1098-T Form Overview

The 1098-T is a federal tax form that details what was paid or billed to the school for the calendar year. It is used to help determine whether you are eligible for certain US federal tax deductions and/or tax credits for your educational expenses.

1098-T forms are mailed to eligible students by January 31, each year and may also be accessed electronically in CASHNet. Please note: not all students are eligible to receive a 1098-T. You may set up authorized user access to CASHNet. Further information on setting up an authorized user is located at Manage Your Student Account.

  • If the total grants and scholarships for the calendar year are more than the total of tuition and applicable fees then you may not be eligible for a 1098-T form.
  • International Students are not eligible for a 1098-T form.
  • In accordance to federal regulations institutions can either report amounts paid or amounts billed for the calendar year. SAIC reports in (Box 2) the total amounts billed during the selected year for qualified tuition and related expenses.
    • Qualified expenses are billed tuition, fees and billed course materials.
    • Non-qualified expenses are charges and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses.

Please consult your tax accountant for assistance with the 1098-T form and your education tax credit eligibility. You may wish to request a tuition and fees statement from SAIC for the tax year by calling 312.899.7443 or the Student Financial Services office at 312.629.6600.