The School of the Art Institute of Chicago invites you to a variety of special events to celebrate the opening of the Design Show 2017. All events are open to the public and take place at Block Thirty Seven, 108 N. State St., 3rd floor
We are pleased to show our graduate work in Architecture, Interior Architecture, Designed Objects and Design for Emerging Technologies and to welcome guests from the city and design community. Included in the show are graduates of the Master of Design in Fashion, Body and Garment.
Shannon Stratton is the Guest Curator for the spring 2017 Design Show thesis exhibition. She is the William and Mildred Ladson Chief Curator at the Museum of Art and Design, New York where she oversees the museum’s diverse exhibition program, and collections, fosters relationships with artists and designers, and develops new strategies to engage contemporary audiences. Stratton joined MAD after twelve years as founder and executive director of Threewalls, a Chicago-based contemporary arts organization. Stratton is also an independent curator and researcher, and has been a critical studies fellow at The Cranbrook Academy Art (2012); a fellow of the NAMAC Visual Arts Leadership Institute (2011); a “Chicagoan of the year” in the arts, Chicago Tribune (2011); and one of the top five most vital people in Chicago’s visual arts scene, New City (2010).
Saturday, May 13:
9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Guest critics include:
• Mimi Zeiger: Critic, editor, curator
• Anjulie Rao: Communications Director at AIA Chicago, Journalist
• Todd Palmer: Executive Director of The Chicago Architecture Biennial
• Ila Berman: University of Virginia Dean of the School of Architecture
• Johanna Agerman Ross: Editor, writer, curator/founder and editor-in-chief of the international design magazine Disegno
• Anika Grobler: Lecturer in Interior Architecture, and Design Studio Coordinator at the University of Pretoria
• Jonathan Nesci: Furniture Designer, founder of HALE
• Fiona Raby: Professor of Design and Emerging Technology and a Fellow of the Graduate Institute for Design Ethnography and Social Thought at The New School in New York
• Shona Kitchen: multidisciplinary artist and designer
• Zurich Esposito: Executive Vice President of AIA Chicago
• Charles Adler: Kickstarter co-founder, designer, and entrepreneur
• Tom Kerwin: Founding Principal of bKL Architecture
• Laura Crane: Director on the AIA Chicago Board of Directors, Associate Architect at bKL Architecture
• Tim Swanson: Chicago Office Practice Leader for Cannon Design
• Todd Heiser: Design Principal and Studio Design Leader in Gensler’s Chicago office
• Michael Golec: Associate Professor, Art History, Theory and Criticism at SAIC
• Ekene Ijeoma: Artist, Designer, NYFA Fellow, and New Lab/Simons Foundation Fellow