BA, 1977, Radcliffe College, Harvard University; MA, 1981, University of Pennsylvania; PhD, 1989, Graduate Center, City University of New York. Books: Boys' Love, Cosplay, and Androgynous Idols: Queer Fan Cultures in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, co-edited with Ling Yang and Jamie Zhao (Hong Kong UP); Push Comes to Shove: New Images of Aggressive Women (MIT Press); editor and coauthor, The Business of Holidays (Monacelli Press); Clean New World: Culture, Politics, and Graphic Design (MIT Press); Cut with the Kitchen Knife: The Weimar Photomontages of Hannah Hoch (Yale University Press); coauthor, Montage and Modern Life (MIT Press). Awards: 2013 Senior Research Residency, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore; 2005 John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship; Swann Foundation Grant; Kress Travel Grant; NEA Projects Grant.
Experience at SAIC
Very honored to receive a 2009-10 SAIC Faculty of the Year Award, I continue to foster exploration, respect, dialogue, and rigor in teaching.
My books-in-progress now are:
- THE FAIRY TUTU BOUTIQUE AND THE EVANGELICALS: Places of Day-to-Day Ethnic, Racial, and Religious Mixing and/or Breakage in Northeast and Central Ohio
- NEW NEW WOMEN IN CHINESE ART AND MASS CULTURE, POST-2000: Work by Cao Fei, Li Yuchun, and Other Producers
- Lydia Claire Gordon (Dual 2017): Maternal Ambivalence and Non-Normative Maternal Desires in Chelsea Knight's 'The Breath We Took,' 2013
- Olivia Graham McManus (MA 2015): Locating Empowerment in Feminism and Pornography: Petra Joy's Female Fantasies and Tristan Taormina's Chemistry Vol. 1
- Jayne Mack (MA 2015): Holy Weaponized Perfume, Batman! Gendered Visual Vocabulary In Revisions Of Batwoman
- Kara Jefts (MA 2015): Dance of Death: Mavo Artists and the Posture of Play in Modern Tokyo
Disclaimer: All work represents the views of the INDIVIDUAL ARTISTS & AUTHORS who created them, and are not those of the school or museum of the Art Institute.