Academic Accommodations

Student Accommodations

Students seeking disability accommodations are advised to contact the Disability and Learning Resource Center (DLRC).

Accommodation Renewal Requests

If you are a student currently registered with the DLRC and have received accommodation letters for a prior semester and you are not requesting any changes, please complete the form below to request letters for the present semester.

Accommodation Request Form

Requesting ASL Interpreters 

If you are a student currently registered with the DLRC and have received deaf and hard of hearing (D/HH) accommodations for a prior semester and you are not requesting any changes in services, please complete the form below to request services for the present semester.

D/HH Accommodations Request Form

Service and Emotional Support Animals

Animals are not permitted in any SAIC campus building. However, if you are a student with a disability the following exceptions apply:

Service Animals

Service animals are permitted in all SAIC buildings. A service animal is any dog (or in some cases a miniature horse) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.  The work or task that the dog performs must be directly related to the individual’s disability, and can include a wide variety of services, such as assisting those with low vision, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, recognizing an impending seizure, and retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone.

Students who use a service animal are not required to register the animal with SAIC administration.  However, students that intend to bring a service animal to campus are highly encouraged to notify the Disability and Learning Resource Center (DLRC) at 312.499.4278. The DLRC can support the student by clarifying resources, policies, and helping the student navigate any logistical issues raised by the animal’s presence.

SAIC reserves the right to require the student to immediately remove a service animal from any SAIC building if (i) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, (ii) the owner cannot effectively control the animal, or (iii) the animal is not housebroken.

Emotional Support Animals

An emotional support animal (ESA) is any animal that is necessary to afford an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy on-campus housing.  There must be an identifiable relationship between the disability and the assistance that the animal provides the student.  An emotional support animal is only permitted in the individual’s assigned residence hall room and outdoor spaces adjacent to the building, if necessary.  Emotional support animals are not permitted in other parts of the residence hall or in other campus buildings.

A student who wishes to have an emotional support animal as an accommodation must first satisfy the Procedures for Requesting an Emotional Support Animal Accommodation.

These procedures are administered by the DLRC and can be found.  Once an emotional support animal has been approved by the DLRC, the student must then register the animal with Residence Life.

The Residence Life Registration Procedures can be found here.  An emotional support animal that has been approved by the DLRC but does not otherwise meet the Residence Life registration requirements will not be permitted in the residence halls.

While the emotional support animal is in the residence hall, the student must at all times follow the procedures outlined in the Owner's Responsibilities and Guidelines for Having Emotional Support Animals in Residence Halls (Guidelines).  SAIC reserves the right to require the student to immediately remove an emotional support animal from the residence hall if the requirements of the Guidelines are not met.

Learn more.