Counseling Services During COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Counseling Services continues to provide support to students remotely, via video and/or telephone.
To schedule an appointment with a counselor, contact Counseling Services at email@example.com or 312-499-4271
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and related public health guidelines, Counseling Services is taking measures intended to enhance community safety. For up-to-date information, please visit: SAIC Make Ready and SAIC COVID-19.
The safety of SAIC students, staff, and faculty is our utmost concern. Therefore, in accordance with the SAIC Make Ready plan and public health guidelines pertaining to social distancing, consultations and routine counseling sessions will be conducted through telemental health options, including phone and secure video meeting software. Counseling Services will also have staff physically present in the Wellness Center to support students who are experiencing a mental health crisis. For more information regarding this decision, please review:
What To Expect From Telemental Health
All currently enrolled students are welcome to consult with Counseling Services about their mental health treatment needs. If you are seeking counseling or mental health care, you may contact Counseling Services at 312-499-4271 and firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an initial consultation appointment.
At the time of your scheduled appointment, a Counseling Services therapist will call you at the number you provide. Please be aware that our number often appears as private or unavailable, so we ask that you please answer any calls from a private or blocked number at the time of your scheduled appointment. During the phone consultation, you’ll be invited to talk about your situation, and to answer questions of a personal nature, so be sure to be somewhere where you can speak privately. Please note that during busy times you may have to wait to speak with an available counselor, but every effort will be made to speak with you in a timely manner.
During the consultation process, the counselor will collect some preliminary information about you and your concerns so that you and the counselor may decide on one or more of the following options:
- Short-term individual counseling (This service is available if you are currently residing in Illinois)
- A referral to another SAIC department or resource
- A referral for accessing affordable care with a provider in the community
- A follow-up consultation to provide continued support with the goal of connecting you with a provider in the community. (This service is available to all students regardless of where they currently reside)
For students residing outside of Illinois at this time, we will work with you to identify information, resources, and/or referrals to connect to treatment in your area. Please note that state regulatory requirements currently prevent our clinicians from practicing outside the state of Illinois and this includes telehealth services. Therefore, we are unable to provide ongoing psychotherapy or counseling to students who are outside of Illinois at this time.
Thank you for your patience as we work together to support the safety and wellbeing of our community during this unforeseen pandemic.
Visiting the Wellness Center
Anyone entering the Wellness Center will be required to follow safety guidelines, and we ask that all visitors call the Counseling Service at 312-499-4271 rather than come directly to the office. This will allow the staff members on site to assess the situation, and make preparations to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff.
- Our normal business hours remain the same: Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- In-person visitors will be pre-screened for entry and are required to wear a mask and follow health and sanitation procedures.
- For questions and scheduling during these hours, Counseling Services support staff can be reached at 312-499-4271 and email@example.com.
- If you would like to speak to someone outside of normal business hours, please call the Counseling Service After Hours Line at (312) 499-4271 and press 1 to speak to a counselor