Update: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, SAIC has canceled this study trip.
Tentative Itinerary: Lucerne, Berlin
July 5 - July 18, 2020 (depart July 4 if flying directly from the US)*
*Note: Dates subject to change
This summer 2020 study trip offers a unique experience! This study trip will focus on the production of two exhibitions, one at the Pavilion in Lucerne, Switzerland and one at the Institut für Alles Mögliche in Berlin, Germany. We will travel to see a hidden secret (Hans Ulrich Obrist) in Giornico, a museum built for the work of Hans Joesphsohn by Peter Märkli and the Church of San Nicolao. We will meet with students from the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts and we will go on a field trip to Basel to visit the Schaulager and the curator Sabine Himmelsbach at the Museum of New Media Arts. We will close our visit in Lucerne with a vernissage at the Pavilion and we will travel with a romantic night train to Berlin, Germany. In Berlin, we will continue to see a lot of art, for example, the 11th Berlin Biennale, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Gropius Bau and the Hamburger Bahnhof. The participants will work in a studio in Berlin Mitte and prepare an exhibition at the conclusion of the trip.
Following the meaning of Zeitgeist, "the spirit or essence of a particular time,” we will use the term which comes straight from German — zeit meaning "time" and geist meaning “spirit.” The "spirit of the time" refers to what is happening culturally, religiously, or intellectually during a certain period, hence we will experience this in two German speaking countries.
Credits: 3 or 6 credits STUDIO (4000-level)
Oliver Sann, Photography
Beate Geisler, Art Department, University of Illinois at Chicago
Program fee: Approx. $2,300 (including transport during the program, accommodation and some meals; not including airfare).
PLUS Tuition cost per credit:
Undergraduate—$1,666 per credit hour;
Graduate—$1,730 per credit hour.
Budget at least $1,400 for airfare if flying from Chicago. (Note this is only an estimated figure. Actual fare will depend on many variables including airline, number of stopovers, exchange rate fluctuations, ports of departure and return, and date of ticket purchase).
Online registration begins: March 11, 2020
Deposit due at registration: $525
Thursday, February 6, 4:15-5:15 p.m., MacLean room 707
Wednesday, February 19, 12:10-12:50 p.m., MacLean room 112
Previous trip’s course evaluations:
• Was such a great experience meeting complete strangers through this trip and have developed great friendships with some incredible students. Plus, we saw a LOT of contemporary art (not just Dada) which was so fantastic.
• Oliver is a very patient professor! He is great with students and very knowledgeable
• Beate is a great mentor and a very energetic person!
• (The instructors are from) the photography department, but this trip is for students of all departments. Anyone from any department could benefit from this experience.
• If you can go on this trip again, sign up!!!!!!! Once in a lifetime experience. • Enjoy it!