The Hilgos Award was established at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago by Berna Huebner, with support from her family and friends, in memory of her late mother Hilda Goldblatt Gorenstein. Hilda Gorenstein attended SAIC and graduated with a BFA in 1920. She became a well-known maritime painter, working under the name Hilgos. In her nineties, Gorenstein returned to painting with assistance from several SAIC students.
Degree seeking students at SAIC are invited to submit proposals for multiple available Hilgos Awards of up to $2500. The proposal should detail an arts project designed to engage people living with memory impairment. Proposals should be submitted no later than Friday, December 9, 2022 by 5 p.m. The Art Therapy and Counseling Department will let you know by December 15, 2022 if you have been selected to receive an award.
Projects eligible for consideration will be carried out during the Spring 2023 semester. A final report about the completed project will be due on May 5, 2023.
To apply, please submit the following information:
- Your contact information
- A one- to two-page proposal (without your name) outlining your arts project designed for people living with memory impairment
- A cover letter introducing yourself and the relevance of the project to your art practice
- A signed letter of consent from the organization, only if the project will take place at an institution or organizational facility
- Other supplemental material (if necessary) to clarify your project
Application submission deadline extended to Friday, December 9, 2022 by 5 p.m.
Send proposals to email@example.com.
Explore here for information on a recent film, I Remember Better When I Paint directed by Eric Ellena and Berna Huebner.
- Proposal submission deadline: December 9, 2022 by 5 p.m.
- Award announcement: December 15, 2022
- Final report deadline: May 5, 2023
- Award distribution: Following submission of your tax forms, the first half of your award will be paid. After providing a written report of the project you will receive your final payment.
- Lunch with Berna Huebner: Summer 2023 (prior to the start of Fall 2023)