The Hilgos Award was established at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago by Berna Huebner, with support from her family and friends, in memory of her late mother Hilda Goldblatt Gorenstein. Hilda Gorenstein attended SAIC and graduated with a BFA in 1920. She became a well-known maritime painter, working under the name Hilgos. In her nineties, Gorenstein returned to painting with assistance from several SAIC students.
Degree seeking students at SAIC are invited to submit proposals for multiple available Hilgos Awards of up to $2000. The proposal should detail an arts project designed to engage people living with memory impairment. Proposals should be submitted by November 30, 2020. The Art Therapy and Counseling Department will let you know by December 15, 2020 if you have been selected to receive an award.
Projects eligible for consideration will be carried out during the Spring 2021 semester. A final report about the completed project will be due on May 5, 2021.
To apply, please submit the following information:
- Your contact information
- A one- to two-page proposal outlining your arts project designed for people living with memory impairment
- A cover letter introducing yourself and the relevance of the project to your art practice
- A signed letter of consent from the organization where the project will take place
- Other supplemental material (if necessary) to clarify your project
Application submission deadline: November 30, 2020 by 5pm. Send proposals to email@example.com.
- Proposal submission deadline: November 30, 2020
- Award announcement: December 15, 2020
- Final report deadline: May 5, 2021
- Award distribution: Following submission of your tax forms, the first half of your award will be paid. After providing a written report of the project you will receive your final payment.
- Lunch with Berna Huebner: Summer 2021 (prior to the start of Fall 2021)