Tuition and Fees: Health Insurance
Annual Health Insurance Requirement and Waiver/Request Deadlines
Health Insurance Requirement for fall and spring semesters—For information about SAIC's health insurance requirements and eligibility to submit a waiver, please refer to Wellness Center: Health Services. All students who are required to have health insurance at SAIC are charged automatically each fall and spring semester they are enrolled.
For the 2015–16 academic year, the cost of health insurance for full-time domestic and all international students is $1,050 per semester during the fall and spring semesters. The spring semester health insurance plan includes coverage through the end of the of following summer.
Waiver Request Instructions—If students do not wish to have coverage under SAIC's student health insurance plan and have coverage under their own comparable health insurance policy, they may request a waiver of the SAIC’s health insurance. Minimum coverage requirements can be found on the online waiver in SAIC Self-Service or via the Health Services page on SAIC’s website.
- SAIC health insurance waivers can only be submitted online in SAIC Self-Service for the fall and spring semesters. Mailed or hard-copy documentation is not acceptable.
- This can be done in the fall for the entire academic year or for each fall and/or spring semester.
- Requests to waive fall and spring health insurance must be submitted annually.
After Submitting the Online Waiver in SAIC Self-Service:
- Via an automated process, a health insurance waiver credit is applied to the account of each student who submits a health insurance waiver.
- Submitting the waiver request is not a guarantee that the waiver has been accepted.
- Information regarding the non-SAIC health insurance policy that is provided on the health insurance waiver will be verified by a third-party servicing agent, Associated Insurance Plans (AIP), to ensure that the plan meets minimum standards.
- AIP will contact the student and/or the policy holder (if the student is not the policy holder) as needed during the verification process.
- If the information provided on the waiver is incomplete, incorrect, cannot be verified, and/or if the insurance plan does not satisfy criteria:
- the waiver will not be accepted.
- the waiver will be deactivated resulting in the reinstatement of the health insurance charge.
- health insurance coverage through SAIC will be required.
- One or more factors may impact AIP's ability to complete waiver verification. It is important that students and/or policy holders respond promptly if contacted by AIP and/or SAIC regarding additional information required to verify insurance coverage.
Request Instructions—Part-time degree students who have not automatically been charged for SAIC student health insurance are eligible to enroll in the plan by completing Section B of the online form in SAIC Self-Service. After submitting the request, each student will receive an automated email confirmation of submission of the waiver via their SAIC email account.
Note: Unless students share their SAIC Self-Service login and password, parents do not have access to the online health insurance waiver/request form.
2015–16 Health Insurance Waiver/Request Deadlines
Fall and spring Health Insurance Waiver/Requests may only be submitted electronically online in SAIC Self-Service.
|Summer 2015*||July 6, 2015|
|Fall 2015||September 2, 2015|
|Spring 2016||January 28, 2016|
*SAIC Health Insurance for the summer semester—Students enrolled in specific summer programs are required to have health insurance and will automatically be charged for SAIC’s short-term summer health insurance plan. If students do not wish to have coverage under SAIC’s summer student health insurance plan and have coverage under their own comparable health insurance policy, they must complete Section A of the PDF form below by the deadline listed on the form and submit it to the Student Financial Services office.
Continuing degree-seeking students enrolled for summer who did not purchase SAIC’s spring insurance plan may enroll in SAIC’s short-term summer insurance plan by completing Section B of the same document and submitting it to Student Financial Services by the designated deadline.