BA, 1976, Marlboro College, VT; MFA, 1980, Massachusetts College of Art, Boston.
- Now What?: The Quandaries of the Radical Past (forthcoming)
- Making Art Global (Part 1): The Third Havana Biennial, Afterall Books, 2011
- To and From Utopia in the New Cuban Art, University of Minnesota Press, 2011
- On Art, Artists, Latin America and Other Utopias by Luis Camnitzer (editor), University of Texas Press, 2009
Articles (recent and forthcoming)
- "Some Thoughts After Geeta and Saloni," in Art Journal (College Art Association), forthcoming 2018
- "The Body of the Collective and the Changing Fortunes of Utopia in the New Cuban Art," in Revista de Estudios Globales & Arte Contemporáneo (REGAC), special issue on NON-TEXTUAL UTOPIAS, (Barcelona University's AGI Research Group), 2017
- "To Defend the Revolution is to Defend Culture—But Which Version?," in ARTMargins (MIT Press), 2017
- "Performing Revolution: from Volumen Uno to Postguerra," in Cuban Art: Dreams and Deceptions, (Cisneros-Fontanals Foundation and MFA Houston), 2017
- "Some Thoughts on the Right Way (for us) to Love the Cuban Revolution," in PUBLIC Journal (Toronto), 2016
- "The Bienal, 'Before it Changes'," in Art Nexus (Bogotá/Miami), 2015
- "Grupo Antillano," in caa.reviews (College Art Association), 2015
- "Thinking Back on Global Conceptualism," in MoMA post: Notes on Modern and Contemporary Art Around the Globe, 2015
- "Difficult Times: Watching Mendieta's Films," in Covered in Time and History: The Films of Ana Mendieta, Howard Oransky, ed., (exh. catalog, (U California Press), 2015
- "Cuban Aesthetics," in Encyclopedia of Aesthetics (Oxford University Press, 2014)
- "Quinta Bienal de la Habana," "La sexta Bienal de la Habana," "La Órbita de la Séptima Bienal de la Habana: Planeta Buenavista," and "Novena Bienal de la Habana," in Bienal de La Habana: Palabras Críticas, 1984–2010, Israel Castellanos-León, ed. (Havana: Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam, 2013)
- "Utopía," in Caja de herramientas (exhibition catalog, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, 2013)
- "Recordando un pasado intenso, y la sorpresa que nos lleva," in Errata# Revista de Artes Visuales (Bogotá, 2013)
- "Tall Tales, Apocryphal Visions, and Hoaxes," in Nowhereisland (online, London: Cultural Olympiad, 2012)
- "The Body of the Collective, and Changing Fortunes of Utopia in Cuban Art," in Utopia and Contemporary Art, (Copenhagen: Hatje Cantz/Arken Museum, 2012)
- "El puño de Lázaro," in Altamente confidencial (Lázaro Saavedra en su Isla), Magaly Espinosa and Wendy Navarro, eds. (Quito: Galería Arte Actual, 2011)
- "Visual Art, 1959–1989," in Cuba: People, Culture, History, Alan West Duran, ed. (Scribner World Scholar/Gale, 2011).
Presentations (selected recent)
- 2017: "Alternate Revolutions: Re-Examining Cuban Art(History Beyond 1959," College Art Association Annual Conference (respondent)
- 2015: "The Tenuous Moonlight of an Unrequited Past," NYU/Institute of Fine Arts, Colloquium on Art in Spain and Latin America; "'Magiciens de la Terre': Reconsidering the Legacies at 25," (panelist), College Art Association Annual Conference
- 2014: "Impacto local de la bienal," Programa Evento Teórico 30 Aniversario Bienal Habana, Centro Wifredo Lam, Havana; "Lupe at the Mic," MDC Museum of Art + Design, Miami
- 2013: "TV Came Here First," Cuban Art in Political Perspective, Tufts University/Aidekman Arts Center; "Global Conceptualism as Precedent," Museum of Modern Art, C-MAP (Contemporary and Modern Art Perspectives) curatorial working group (keynote); "Taller Revisión de las exposiciones I: Ante América (1994) y MESóTICA II (1996)," TEORéTica, San José Costa Rica (keynote); Art History Lecture Series, University of Texas at Austin; "Why Museums Make Me Sad," Permanent Seminar, Center for Latin American Visual Studies, University of Texas at Austin.
- 2012: "¿Qué nos dicen hoy los 80?", Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain; "Cultural Bricolage: Ediciones Vigia," University of Missouri/Columbia; "Lanzamiento del libro," Evento teórico, 11th Havana Bienal/Centro Teórico-Cultural Criterios; "Lupe at the Mic," Cleveland Institute of Art, at "Cuba Symposium" (keynote); "Making Art Global—For Better and for Worse," Stedelijk Museum/Rijksakademie, Amsterdam (keynote); "The Fire, One Time," Central St. Martins School of Art, London.
- 2011: Interlocutor, at Poner el cuerpo, Centro Cultural de España, Lima, Perú; "The Body of the Collective and the Changing Fortunes of Utopia," at Utopia Revisited, Arken Museum, Copenhagen.
Boards (current and recent)
- College Art Association Board of Directors (VP for Publications)
- Art Journal Editorial Board (Chair), College Art Association, NY
- Scientific Committee, Imágenes del arte y reescritura de las narravitvas en la cultural visual global, Government of Spain/Ministry of Science and Innovation
- Miller Beach Arts and Creative District, Gary, IN.
Cultural policy, civil society, Latin American contemporary art, Cuban art, history of exhibitions, cultural redevelopment, the politics of culture. My principal work consists of two strands: research and writing on contemporary art that is engaged in the dynamics and problematics of its setting, and an active consulting practice
Disclaimer: All work represents the views of the INDIVIDUAL ARTISTS & AUTHORS who created them, and are not those of the school or museum of the Art Institute.