The Historic Preservation Department is housed in a purposed-built, two level space in the historic Lake View Building at 116 South Michigan Avenue. Originally known as the Municipal Courts Building, the structure was designed by noted architects Jenney, Mundie and Jensen and completed in 1906. The Historic Preservation Department occupies half of floors fifteen and sixteen. The top floor includes a dramatic double height, skylit studio, faculty offices and a lecture space. The lower floor includes a departmental resource library, designated student computer lab, a lecture hall and conservation lab.