Safety and Security: How to Respond in an Emergency
Members of the SAIC community and visitors are encouraged to observe the following procedures during emergencies that may occur on campus.
An evacuation is implemented under conditions when it is no longer safe to remain in a building or a specific area in a building. This requires occupants to move out and away from a building to an area of refuge or out and away from a specific area within a building. This procedure is most commonly used when there is a suspected fire or hazardous material spill in a building.
- Notify occupants and help those needing assistance in the immediate area
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station
- Confine the fire by closing doors as you exit
- Evacuate the building at the nearest exit and call 911 and Campus Security (312.899.1230 or push the EMERGENCY button on any in-house phone)
- DO NOT, under any circumstances, enter the building until authorized to do so by emergency personnel
An environmental shelter-in-place is a procedure where the entire building population is moved to a single or multiple location(s) in a building. This is most commonly used during weather emergencies or when an extremely hazardous substance is released into the outside atmosphere.
- Stay inside your building, or immediately go into the nearest building
- Close all windows
- Immediately go to an area inside the building, away from exterior walls and windows
- Await further instructions from emergency personnel
- DO NOT evacuate the building until you receive an "all clear" from emergency personnel
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people. In most cases, active shooters use firearms, and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly.
- If possible, exit the building immediately and call 911 and Campus Security (312.899.1230)
- IF YOU CANNOT EXIT: Clear the hallway immediately; remain behind closed doors in a locked or barricaded room; stay away from all windows; remain calm; and QUIETLY call 911 and Campus Security (312.899.1230)
- DO NOT: Leave or unlock the door to see what is happening
- DO NOT: Attempt to confront or apprehend the shooter, UNLESS THIS IS A LAST RESORT
- DO NOT: Assume someone else has called Campus Security, YOU make the call
- Evacuate the room only when emergency personnel have arrived and given the all clear