Orientation: Mandatory Online Courses
During Orientation, you will learn a great deal about living in Chicago, the academic and studio experiences at SAIC, and how to flourish in our exciting community. To help you prepare for your transition to the School, we have partnered with online learning resources to provide three important courses for college students: Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates, AlcoholEdu, and DiversityEdu. Every new undergraduate student is required to take these online courses:
About Sexual Assault Prevention
Sexual Assault Prevention is designed to help you learn about Sexual Violence and Misconduct, including specific SAIC policies, the definition and meaning of consent, and personal and community safety. This interactive program educates students on important topics such as how to communicate with partners, developing healthy relationships, and ways we can help each other through bystander intervention. We understand that some students may be sensitive to this subject matter. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 312.629.6725 if you have concerns about completing the course.
This interactive program will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about alcohol use. This course includes surveys throughout that will provide you with feedback on your alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are strictly confidential. SAIC will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will never see any individual student's answers.
Among SAIC’s efforts to create a more diverse and inclusive campus, respectful of all identities, backgrounds, and ideas, is a campus-wide educational program, DiversityEdu. DiversityEdu aims to build your skills in engaging with difference, managing assumptions, recognizing privilege, identifying microaggressions, and helping you understand your role as a member of a diverse community. This course includes surveys throughout that will help you navigate your own experiences with diversity and your progress through the course. Responses are not recorded. DiversityEdu takes approximately 60 minutes to complete.
You will need a computer with Internet access and audio capabilities. You may access all courses beginning July 16.
Completing Sexual Assault Prevention and AlcoholEdu:
- Start the registration process. You can also find the link at saic.edu/orientation.
- Login with your ARTIC account. Your login credentials are the same as your SAIC email.
- Follow the prompts to create your account. Choose “Incoming Undergraduate Students” as your “group” for both courses.
- Click Get Startedto begin the courses.
- Your progress in the courses will be saved and you may logout and log back in at any time to continue to complete the courses.
You are required to complete Part 1 of both courses by September 11. In order for Part 1 of AlcoholEdu to be considered complete, you must take the exam at the end. After the beginning of the fall term, you will receive an email at your SAIC email address with instructions for completing Part 2 of both courses. In order for your participation to be considered complete, Part 2 of both courses must also be finished in full.
- Log into Canvas. Canvas is SAIC’s learning management software. Many of your courses will utilize Canvas for readings, assignments, and tests. Your login credentials are the same as your SAIC email. Visit www.saic.edu/crit/canvas for login help and other questions.
- Click the DiversityEdu course. The course will pop up in a separate window. Make sure you have turned off pop-up blockers.
You are required to complete DiversityEdu by September 11.
Please contact SAICOnlineCourses@saic.edu if you have any questions about these courses.