International Affairs: I-20 Application
The U.S. government requires that all international applicants provide the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) with evidence of their ability to pay a full year of tuition and living expenses before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) may be issued. To apply for your I-20, prepare the following documents and return them by fax or email to International Affairs:
- Completed Immigration and Financial Matters Packet [PDF]
- Bank statement showing a full year of available funding
- Copy of your passport biographical page
- International Declaration of Intent [PDF]
SAIC will issue your I-20 and mail it to the address listed on the Statement of Financial Support.
Students Transferring from Another U.S. Institution
If you are currently in F-1 visa status transferring from another institution in the United States you must request that your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record be transferred to SAIC. The SEVIS record may be transferred the day after completing studies at your current school. You should only request to transfer your SEVIS record after being fully admitted to SAIC. To transfer your record to SAIC:
- Complete page 5 of your immigration and financial matters packet and give it to your current international advisor with a copy of your SAIC Admission Letter.
- Submit the Statement of Financial Support, bank statement and copy of your passport to International Affairs.
- International Affairs will issue your new SAIC I-20 Form.
Your SAIC I-20 will either be mailed to you or given to you in person if you are in Chicago.
Your F-1 visa may list your old school but will remain valid with an SAIC I-20 as long as you transfer your SEVIS record to us, without a break in study. Please call our office if you have any questions.
Students who will be accompanied by a spouse and/or a child/children must complete the Dependent Supplement form and provide photocopies of each dependent’s passport. Evidence of additional funding is required as specified on the form.