Hiring International Students

International students are eligible for Work-Study positions at SAIC. If hired, here are a few things to consider:

Working Off-Campus

International students are never authorized to work off-campus without prior authorization from International Affairs. Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of immigration law, and the student will be required to leave the country. Even volunteer and unpaid work is also considered a violation of status if not previously authorized. 

Internships and Fieldwork

An international student engaging in an off-campus internship or fieldwork must receive authorization from International Affairs prior to beginning work. The internship or fieldwork must be credit bearing and an integral part of the degree program.

Most international students participating in an internship will work with the Career and Professional Experience (CAPX) to complete Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization paperwork. CPT authorization paperwork and a copy of the student’s class schedule must be submitted to International Affairs and approved PRIOR to beginning the internship.

Students participating in Art Therapy, Art Education, or Teaching programs will have their placement coordinator in their department complete the CPT paperwork and submit it with a copy of their class schedule reflecting the required fieldwork credits PRIOR to beginning their fieldwork.

Download CPT forms here:

International Scholars

Learn about study away, study trips, and exchange programs here.