Housing and Residence Life: Residence Advisor Application
Summary of RA Position
Resident Advisors (RAs) are an essential part of the Residence Life team here at SAIC. They actively collaborate with Residence Life professional staff members and the Office of Student Affairs to achieve the mission of the department. RAs have the opportunity to create and maintain a strong community that positively influences students’ growth and development. RAs serve as a reliable resource for students and support students to achieve their educational and personal goals. They assist students by providing support, information about on campus resources, roommate mediation and conflict resolution. RAs support students in crisis and maintain community and facilities standards. Through programming and community development, RAs also offer opportunities for students to learn, engage with each other, develop interpersonal relationships and enjoy the college experience. RAs also serve on a Residence Life Committee that collaborates with other SAIC departments and professionals to provide community-wide programming.
RAs serve as role models on their floors, in the halls and in the greater SAIC community.
They are provided with extensive training in areas such as, interpersonal communication, organization and time management, group/programming facilitation, conflict resolution, crisis management and leadership development.
All RA applicants must:
- Be a full time enrolled student for the 2013–14 academic year
- Be a current SAIC degree seeking student for at least 1 semester prior to applying
- Be in good standing with SAIC and eligible for On-campus Housing
Important RA Selection Dates
- November 20—Applications forms available online
- November 27, 4:30 p.m.—Jones Hall media room information session
- December 6, 9:15–10:00 p.m.—Neiman Center information session
- December 11, 4:30 p.m.—Ask the Residence Advisors, information session, 162 N. State St., Solarium
- December 21, 5:00 p.m.—RA applications and all application materials due
- February 10—RA candidate interview day (All RA applicants must be available on this date)
- February 25—RA offer letters will be sent out to applicants
- March 1— RA acceptance letters due