Housing and Residence Life: Move-Out Information
When is move-out for Fall 2018?
If you are not staying with housing for Spring 2019, you must move out of the halls by Tuesday, December 18, 2018 by 5pm. Note- Students staying in housing for the spring semester do not need to move out at the end of the fall semester.
When is move-out for Spring 2019?
All students, except for graduating seniors, must move out of the residence halls by Sunday, May 12, 2019. Graduating seniors must move out of the residence halls by Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
SAIC sponsored move-out dates are:
Saturday, May 11, 2018
Sunday, May 12, 2018
Wednesday, May 15, 2018
What does a resident have to do to officially move-out?
The move out process is fairly simple. Follow these simple steps to have a smooth and successful move out.
- Attend the final floor meeting.
- Pack. After a year of school, residents will most likely be leaving with more than they arrived with. This increase can make estimating packing needs difficult. For this reason, boxes will be available for purchase, wholesale value, at the residence hall desks (162 North State Street, 4th floor and Jones Hall, 7 West Madison Street, 3rd floor) beginning mid April. Boxes may only be purchased with students’ ARTICard. Cash, checks, and other credit cards will not be accepted.
- Clean. Residents are responsible for cleaning their entire room, including kitchen and bathroom. Residents are responsible for returning the room to its proper state it was in when they first arrived. Brooms, dustpans, and other cleaning supplies will be available at the hall desk (only available in 162 N State Street Residences and Jones Hall) for resident use. Residence Life anticipates normal wear and tear on a room during the year; however, any excessive damage or cleaning needs will incur additional charges. A price list of cleaning/damage charges will be posted on each floor by the elevators. If you are concerned about damage to the room, or cleaning arrangements with your roommate(s), please speak to your RA before check-out.
- Remove items from the room. All items must be removed from the room. (Don’t forget the refrigerator and the kitchen cabinets!) To assist in the move-out process, residents will be allowed to check out laundry carts. As move-out is a very busy time, we will ask that residents only check out a cart once they are ready to move belongings. Also, the time allowed for a cart check-out will be limited to 2 hours. Unwanted, nonperishable food and unwanted clothes will be collected at the residence hall desk to be donated to local charities.
- Turn your key into the drop box. You can check out at any time as long as you turn your key with the check out envelope into the check-out drop-box in your building. In 162 N State Street, envelopes and the drop box are located to the right of the desk on the 4th floor. In Jones hall, the envelopes and drop box are located to the right of the door to the 3rd floor desk. In the Buckingham, envelopes are located outside your RA's door and you can turn your key into the Buckingham security desk.
What preparations must be completed before checking out?
Students will need to remove all their belongings and clean the entire room, including the bathroom and kitchen. The refrigerator, closets, and cabinets should also be empty. The Residence Life Office anticipates normal wear and tear on a room during the year; however, excessive damage or cleaning needs will incur additional charges. As move-out approaches, a price list of cleaning/damage charges will be posted on each floor by the elevators. Brooms. dustpans, and other cleaning supplies will be available (only in 162 North State Street Residences and Jones Hall) at the hall desks. If a student is concerned about damage to their room or making cleaning arrangements with their roommate(s), the student should discuss these issues with their RA before their check-out time.
Does Residence Life provide boxes? Where can they be obtained?
Beginning in April, students may purchase boxes at wholesale value from the Jones Hall and 162 North State Street Residences front desk during normal business hours. Students may only use their ARTICard to purchase these boxes. Cash and checks will not be accepted.
What services will be offered to help students move their belongings out of the building?
Because students all move out at different times and in different ways, move-out is much more logistically challenging than move-in. To assist in the move-out process, students will be allowed to check out carts from their residence hall's hall desk (Buckingham, pick up at the security desk). Students must only check out a cart once they are ready to move belongings. For this reason, the time allowed for cart check-out will be two hours beginning in early May. The hall desk may require a student to turn in their ARTICard ID as a deposit while checking out a cart.
Can students store their belongings?
SAIC does not offer storage to students unless they are contracted to live in the residence halls during the summer term. However, SAIC students can make arrangements with Collegeboxes, Inc., a company specializing in storing student belongings. This company has worked with SAIC for more than seven years, and serves more than 50 schools nationwide.
To make arrangements, go to collegeboxes.com, register, and notify them of your storage needs. They will not only pick up your items at move-out, they will deliver your things during move-in next academic year, on or off campus! Students will need to contract with Collegeboxes on an individual basis. Head to Collegeboxes.com for more information.
Is there a "best time" to move out?
It has been our experience that moving out before 11:00 a.m. is the least crowded time. This is especially true at the 162 North State Street Residences.
How will the elevators work? (Saturday, May 11, and Sunday, May 12)
In the 162 North State Street Residences, the wait for an elevator may be long during the peak hours of move-out. Our staff will operate the elevators in an effort to move students more efficiently. The operators will run students directly to the floor needed and stop at other floors periodically to check for students. During peak time, students will not be able to call the elevator by pushing the up/down buttons. If a student has waited more than 15 minutes, the student should call the front desk and request an elevator be sent to their floor. Signs will be posted on each floor with instructions.
Elevators will operate normally in Jones Hall and the Buckingham.
What about trash and unwanted items? (Saturday, May 11, and Sunday, May 12)
At move-out, students realize they have many items that they no longer need. In an effort to keep these items out of landfills, Residence Life will accept donations of clothing, cleaning supplies, unopened food, and e-waste (e.g., old computers) Residence Life will work to have these items reused. Please donate items in the following places: 162 North State Street Residencies, 4th floor, Jones Hall, 3rd floor, and Buckingham, back dock.
In an effort to limit the amount of trash that will inevitably accumulate during move-out, students in 162 N State Street Residences and Jones Hall will be allowed to leave trash in their room as long as it is in a proper trash bag, provided by their RA. Additionally, in the 162 North State Street Residences, items may be disposed of in the extra trash receptacles located in floor lounges. The Buckingham will have additional trash receptacles in the parking lot behind the building. Trash may not be left in the rooms in the Buckingham.
What should I do if I have additional questions or concerns about the move-out process or timeline?
All students, parents, and family members who would like additional information about the move-out process should contact the Residence Life main office at 312.629.6870 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.