Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking: Education and Prevention Programs
VIII. Education and Prevention Programs
SAIC provides education programs to promote awareness of Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. Educational programming consists of primary prevention and awareness programs for all incoming students and new staff and faculty and ongoing awareness and prevention campaigns for students, staff, and faculty that:
- Identify Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking as prohibited conduct;
- Define Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking under SAIC’s Policy and under Illinois law;
- Define behavior that constitutes consent to sexual activity under Illinois law;
- Provide safe and positive options for bystander intervention that may be carried out by an individual to prevent harm or intervene when there is a risk of Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence or Stalking against a person other than the bystander;
- Provides information on risk reduction so that students, staff and faculty may recognize warning signs of abusive behavior and how to avoid potential attacks;
- Provides an overview of information contained in the Annual Security Report in compliance with the Clery Act.
SAIC has developed an annual educational campaign consisting of presentations that include: New Student Orientation, New Employee Orientation, New Faculty Orientation, Communication Program (to include signage, brochures, and email), Campus Security Authorities, Investigator/Adjudicator Training, Web-based Manager Training, and Security Officer Training.
In addition, SAIC, by means of this Policy, provides written notification to students and employees about existing counseling, health, mental health, victim advocacy, legal assistance, visa and immigration assistance, student financial aid, and other services available to those who have experienced Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, or Stalking, both within SAIC and in the community. See Resources.