Registration for study trips takes place online via SAIC Self-Service. Your study trip experience is only three steps away!
Step 1: Preregister via SAIC Self-Service. Select the Other Services Non-Mobile tile on your laptop. Not accessible with the phone app.
Step 2: Register, pay deposit, and complete a waiver via SAIC Self-Service
Step 3: Complete the online Study Trip Forms
Step 1: Preregistration
Preregistration and Info Sessions begin:
September 5 for Winter 2019 trips
Step 1 is mandatory for all students who plan to register for a study trip. It's the only way to move to Step 2 (registration, deposit payment, waiver completion). If you are still researching options, Step 1 can help you decide—it is an easy process with important information that applies to all SAIC faculty-led study trips. You can access Step 1 by clicking the Study Trip link under Academics in SAIC Self-Service.
Completing Step 1 does not register you for a study trip. In reviewing the details under each tab/section and indicating your agreement, you will be confirming your eligibility and accepting the terms of participation should you eventually register for a trip. After successfully completing Step 1, you will receive email notification with more details about Step 2 (registration, deposit payment, waiver completion).
The India study trip also requires a short application to the study trip leaders for "pre-approval" before final class registration in addition to completion of Step 1. The application is available on the trip's web page and only students who are given pre-approval will have access to register for India.
Financial Aid Priority:
Winter 2019 trips: September 21
You can submit a financial aid application as part of Step 1 (Preregistration). If you are eligible for financial aid, and you complete Step 1 by the financial aid priority date above, Student Financial Services will review it and issue a response prior to study trip registration. Be aware that any funds awarded will not be available for use as your study trip deposit. Note that this is not the final deadline for financial aid applications. You can still submit an application after the priority deadline, however, you may not have a response before the first day of registration.
Step 2: Registration and Deposit Payment
Online registration begins:
Wednesday, October 10 for winter 2019 trips
8:45 a.m. for graduate students, post-baccalaureate students, seniors, and juniors
12:00 p.m. for sophomores, and freshman in the CP1020 Siena class
- You can select a study trip reservation in the same way you usually register for on-campus courses, until each trip reaches capacity. Credit type and the amount of credits (e.g., 3 credit studio and/or 3 credit art history) will be added to your registration later.
- You must have already completed Step 1 to get access to study trip registration (Step 2). Check your account in advance and clear any holds that may prevent your ability to register. A waiting list will be available at the Registrar's Office if the trip is already full.
Study Trip Deposit
After you successfully register on or after October 10, you must pay a nonrefundable $525 deposit within 24 hours in order to secure your place. Payment can be made by credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express, or MasterCard) or by electronic check (ACH) via the CASHNet link in the Financial Account > Make a Payment section of Self-Service. You may also pay by paper check or money order in US currency at:
SAIC Bursar's Office Sharp Building, 37 S. Wabash Ave., room 245
Student Financial Services office Sullivan Center, 36 S. Wabash Ave., room 1200
Important: As study trip deposits are nonrefundable, do not pay your deposit before you have successfully registered for the trip.
Completing the Waiver and Health Disclosure
Each participant is required to read, understand, and sign a waiver within 24 hours of registering as well as complete a health disclosure. These must be submitted in SAIC Self-Service as soon as you make your deposit.
Read them advance to become familiar with SAIC policies.
- Legal Waiver [PDF]
- Health Disclosure [PDF]
- Study Abroad Alcohol Use Guidelines [PDF]
- Cancellation Agreement [PDF]
Failure to make your non-refundable deposit and agree to each item outlined in the Waiver tab within 24 hours may drop you from the course.
Step 3: Travel Information Form
After registering, each participant must return to the Study Trip link in SAIC Self-Service to complete the online study trip forms by a specified due date—usually one week after registration. Read them in advance to become familiar with SAIC policies.
- Travel Information [PDF]
Other information that must be submitted to Study Abroad:
- A copy of your passport (for international trips)
Academic and Other Requirements
All usual academic requirements must be met in order to register for a study trip. For example, to register for Art History credits, a student must have completed both parts of the Survey of Art History; for Liberal Arts, all English requirements must be completed.
Some study trips may require an application and study trip leaders' approval before registration. If so, this will be listed on the trip description in Course Options.
The following students are not eligible to register for study trips:
- First-year undergraduate students who have successfully completed less than 30 credits at SAIC at the time of registration (unless a particular study trip has been designated for first-year undergraduates)
- Students currently on disciplinary probation or subject to any other disciplinary sanction
- Students currently on academic probation
- Students who have received a "No Credit" grade for a previous study trip
The following students' study trip participation will be reviewed:
- Students who become subject to academic or disciplinary sanction after registration. Note: a student whose study trip registration is canceled as a result of this review must appeal to the Refund Review Committee for refund of fees.