Adult Programs: Painting Certificate
The Painting Certificate offers a foundational education in the field of contemporary painting. Students will explore a variety of painting approaches, and develop their technical and conceptual skills, while realizing their own unique vision. Students will learn about the history of painting through art history courses, works in the collections of the Art Institute of Chicago museum, and exposure to a wide variety of painting practices emerging today. The Painting Certificate is designed for adults who are interested in exploring the tools and traditions of painting while experimenting with new methods, materials, and concepts. It is also for students interested in developing painting portfolios for admission to college-level programs, and for individuals looking to create paintings for personal enrichment and other professional opportunities.
Prerequisite: Beginning Drawing
Requirements include seven studio courses, two art history courses, and three elective courses.
Studio Courses (7)—recommended sequence
- Creative Encounter: Process as Research
- Beginning Oil Painting
- Painting: Materials and Methods
- Painting: Color and Light
- Painting Studio: Multi-level
- Drawing and Painting Studio
- Drawing and Painting Critique
Art History Courses (2)
- Art and Music at the AIC
- Art History at the AIC: Ancient to Pre-Modern
- Art History at the AIC: Impressionism & Post Impressionism
- Art History at the AIC: Modernism and Beyond
Elective Courses (3)
- The Artist and the Sketchbook
- Artist Books: Ideas Found and Bound
- Contemporary Watercolor Studio
- Copying at the Art Institute of Chicago
- Digital Tools for Artists
- Drawing and Painting Intensive (summer)
- Figure Painting Studio
- From Drawing to Painting
- Interpreting Masterworks
- Introduction to HTML & CSS (web design)
- Oriental Painting Methods
Completion of the Painting Certificate requires participation in a final student exhibition.
Note: Painting Certificate students will be assigned a mentor to guide them through the program.