Adult Programs: Painting Certificate
In the Painting Certificate, students develop the skills and conceptual foundation necessary to cultivate their art practice, drawing inspiration and context from SAIC’s many resources, including the Art Institute of Chicago, an encyclopedic museum that encompasses more than 5,000 years of creative expression from cultures around the world.
New requirements - effective fall 2016 - can be completed in just over a year at a rate of two courses per semester and include the following:
- Introduction to Drawing (formerly Beginning Drawing)
Studio Courses (4)
- Introduction to Oil Painting (formerly Beginning Oil Painting)
- Painting: Color and Light
- Painting: Materials and Methods
- Painting Studio: Multi-level
Art History Course (1)
- Art and Movies
- Art Survey @ the AIC: American Art
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Ancient to Premodern
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Impressionism and Post-Impressionism
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Modernism and Beyond
Total required courses: 7
Reflecting the degree program's interdisciplinary approach to an art and design education, all Adult Continuing Education courses are eligible electives for all certificate programs.
Note: Required courses are not offered all semesters (fall, spring, summer). Please contact Continuing Studies for suggestions on organizing your course sequence.