Adult Programs: Painting Certificate
In the Painting Certificate, students develop the skills and conceptual foundation necessary to cultivate their art practice, drawing inspiration and context from SAIC’s many resources, including the Art Institute of Chicago, an encyclopedic museum that encompasses more than 5,000 years of creative expression from cultures around the world.
- Introduction to Drawing (formerly Beginning Drawing)
Studio Courses (4)
- Introduction to Oil Painting (formerly Beginning Oil Painting)
- Painting: Color and Light
- Painting: Materials and Methods
- Painting Studio: Multi-level
Art History Course (1)
- Art and Movies
- Art Survey @ the AIC: American Art
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Ancient to Premodern
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Impressionism and Post-Impressionism
- Art Survey @ the AIC: Modernism and Beyond
- Hitchcock's Masterpieces
Total required courses: 7
Reflecting the degree program's interdisciplinary approach to an art and design education, all Adult Continuing Education courses are eligible electives for all certificate programs.
Completion of the Painting Certificate requires a portfolio review by a Continuing Studies faculty member, submission of a signed Certificate Program Completion Form, and a minimum of three (3) digital images from the student's body of work.
Note: Required courses are not offered all semesters (fall, spring, summer). Please contact Continuing Studies for suggestions on organizing your course sequence.