Adult Programs: Illustration Certificate
The Illustration Certificate offers a foundational education in the field of illustration. Students will develop and produce illustrated images for print and digital media using a combination of fine art and graphic design processes. Students have the option of building their skills for a wide range of illustration purposes or may choose to focus on one of the following Illustration categories: children’s book illustration, commercial illustration, or sequential Illustration. The Illustration Certificate is designed for adults interested in learning more about the field of illustration, for artists, designers, and working professionals looking to combine illustration with related art and design practices, and for those wishing to build portfolios for application to college-level illustration degree programs.
Prerequisite: Beginning Drawing
Requirements include eight studio courses and four elective courses.
Studio Courses (8)
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Graphic Design: Adobe Photoshop
- Introduction to Illustration
- Figure Drawing for Illustration
- Illustration Studio 1: Styles and Materials
- Illustration Studio 2: Process and Practice
- Illustration Studio 3: Portfolio Prep
- Business of Illustration Practice
Elective Courses (4)
- The Art of Creative Writing
- Children's Book Illustration Studio (may be taken for 2 semesters)
- Color Theory for Designers
- Commercial Illustration (may be taken for 2 semesters)
- Digital Photography 1
- Graphic Design: Adobe Illustrator
- Introduction to HTML & CSS (web design)
- Introduction to Typography
- Sequential Illustration (may be taken for 2 semesters)
Please contact the Continuing Studies office for suggestions on organizing your course sequence.
* Illustration: Alex Kostiw, Storyteller, 2012, ink, gouache and digital treatments, 12.5" x 9.75"