Adult Programs: Illustration Certificate
The Adult Continuing Education program will not be accepting new Illustration Certificate applications in the 2016-2017 academic year. This will not prevent current students from completing the program. Please contact Continuing Studies for more information.
Students will develop and produce illustrated images for print and digital media using a combination of fine art and graphic design processes. Students have the option of building their skills for a wide range of illustration purposes or may choose to focus on one of the following Illustration categories: children’s book illustration, commercial illustration, or sequential Illustration. The Illustration Certificate is designed for adults interested in learning more about the field of illustration, for artists, designers, and working professionals looking to combine illustration with related art and design practices, and for those wishing to build portfolios for application to college-level illustration degree programs.
- Introduction to Drawing (formerly Beginning Drawing)
Studio Courses (8)
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Digital Design: Adobe Photoshop
- Introduction to Illustration
- Figure Drawing for Illustration
- Illustration Studio 1: Styles and Materials
- Illustration Studio 2: Process and Practice
- Illustration Studio 3: Portfolio Prep
- Business of Illustration Practice
Total required courses: 13
Reflecting the degree program's interdisciplinary approach to an art and design education, all Adult Continuing Education courses are eligible electives.
Completion of the Illustration Certificate requires a portfolio review by a Continuing Studies faculty member, submission of a signed Certificate Program Completion Form, and a minimum of three (3) digital images from the student's body of work.
Note: Required courses are not offered all semesters (fall, spring, summer). Please contact the Continuing Studies office for suggestions on organizing your course sequence.
* Artwork: Alex Kostiw, Storyteller, 2012, ink, gouache and digital treatments, 12.5" x 9.75"