Adult Programs: Graphic Design Certificate
The Graphic Design Certificate offers a foundational education in the field of graphic design. Focusing primarily on printmedia, this program is designed for artists, designers, and working professionals interested in developing or retooling their visual communication skills and for those wishing to build portfolios for application to graphic design degree programs. Adults will work with analog and digital processes to realize their graphic design concepts and create unique, personalized projects for their final portfolios.
Prerequisite: Students are required to have basic proficiency with Mac OS X.
Requirements include 10 studio courses and two elective courses.
Studio Courses (10)—recommended sequence
- Approaching Design
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Introduction to Typography
- Digital Design: Adobe Illustrator
- Digital Design: Adobe Photoshop
- Digital Design: Adobe InDesign
- Color Theory for Designers
- Graphic Design Studio 1: Process and Product
- Graphic Design Studio 2: Layout Projects
- Graphic Design Studio 3: Portfolio Prep
Elective Courses (2)
- Digital Photography 1
- Freelance Graphic Design Practice
- Introduction to HTML & CSS (web design)
- Introduction to Illustration
- Product Branding and Package Design
- Typography: Multi-level
Completion of the Graphic Design Certificate requires a final portfolio review by two Continuing Studies Graphic Design instructors.