Adult Programs: Fashion Certificate
Students will develop the necessary skills to create garments that represent current ideas in the world of fashion and articulate their own unique vision. Classes are taught in the professional-level Sage Studios Fashion Department where students work with industry-standard machines and equipment. Students have firsthand access to the Fashion Resource Center, a unique fashion archive with innovative garments representing many of the world’s top designers. The Fashion Certificate is designed for students who are interested in developing a fashion portfolio for application to college-level fashion programs, for those interested in working in the fashion industries, and for individuals looking to create unique garments for personal use.
Requirements include 10 studio courses and two electives. The average length of time to complete the Fashion Certificate is two years.
Studio Courses (10)
- Sewing Techniques: Fundamentals
- Figure Drawing for Illustration
- Sewing Techniques: Above the Waist
- Patternmaking & Construction: Above the Waist
- Sewing Techniques: Below the Belt
- Patternmaking & Construction: Below the Belt
- Fashion Medium: Embroidery, Embellishments, and Sewn Elements
- Collection Design: Structures and Stories
- Fashion Practice: Portfolio and Profession
- Fashion Practice: Performance, Runway and Documentation
Reflecting the degree program's interdisciplinary approach to an art and design education, all Adult Continuing Education courses are eligible electives for all certificate programs.
Completion of the Fashion Certificate requires a final portfolio review by a Continuing Studies Fashion instructor.