Adult Programs: Fashion Certificate
The Fashion Certificate offers a foundational education in the field of contemporary fashion design and construction. Students will develop the necessary skills to create garments that represent current ideas in the world of fashion and articulate their own unique vision. Classes are taught in the professional-level Sage Studios Fashion Department where students work with industry-standard machines and equipment. Students have firsthand access to the Fashion Resource Center, a unique fashion archive with innovative garments representing many of the world’s top designers. The Fashion Certificate Program is designed for students who are interested in developing a fashion portfolio for application to college-level fashion programs, for those interested in working in the fashion industries, and for individuals looking to create unique garments for personal use.
Requirements include 10 studio courses and two elective courses.
Studio Courses (10)—recommended sequence
- Sewing Techniques: Fundamentals
- Figure Drawing for Illustration
- Sewing Techniques: Above the Waist
- Patternmaking & Construction: Above the Waist
- Sewing Techniques: Below the Belt
- Patternmaking & Construction: Below the Belt
- Collection Design: Structures and Stories
- Collection Design: Group Mentality
- Fashion Practice: Portfolio and Profession
- Fashion Practice: Performance, Runway and Documentation
Elective Courses (2)
- Accessory Design
- Color Theory for Designers
- Fashion Intensives (summer or winter)
- Fashion Past
- Introduction to HTML & CSS (web design)
- Shoe Design
- Skin Deep: The Manipulated Surface
Completion of the Fashion Certificate requires a final portfolio review by two Continuing Studies Fashion instructors.