Adult Programs: Fashion Certificate
The Fashion Certificate is designed for students interested in artistic and professional training in fashion. Classes are held in the Sage Studios for Fashion Design, where participants hone the technical skills necessary to realize their creative vision as they develop a portfolio of work that can be used for a variety of purposes, including preparation for further study.
Inspiration and context are drawn from SAIC’s Fashion Resource Center, a unique collection of late 20th- and 21st-century designer garments and accessories representing extreme innovation, as well as the Art Institute of Chicago museum and other SAIC collections and resources.
New requirements - effective fall 2016 - include the following:
- Sewing Techniques: Fundamentals
Studio Courses (6)
- Figure Drawing for Illustration
- Fashion Medium: Embroidery, Embellishments, and Sewn Elements
- Sewing Techniques: Above the Waist
- Patternmaking and Construction: Above the Waist
- Sewing Techniques: Below the Belt
- Patternmaking and Construction: Below the Belt
Total required courses: 8
Reflecting the degree program's interdisciplinary approach to an art and design education, all Adult Continuing Education courses are eligible electives for all certificate programs.
Note: Required courses may not be offered all semesters (fall, spring, summer). Please contact Continuing Studies for suggestions on organizing your course sequence.