Computer Resources & Information Technologies: SAIC Portal Email Transition
The SAIC Portal is being deactivated to provide you access to more reliable and robust online services.
If you are currently using the Portal to check email, you will need to transition to SAIC Gmail as soon as possible or you will lose access to your email on Tuesday, March 25, 2014.
As part of transitioning to SAIC Gmail, you will get the following benefits:
- Access to your email from any computer or mobile device with Web access, via gmail.artic.edu
- Automatic synchronization of your email across all your devices (desktop computer, laptop, mobile devices, etc.)
- Expanded email storage capacity (30 GB)
- Improved filtering for spam, phishing, and viruses
- Access to other Google Apps such as calendar and docs
To Set Up Your Gmail Account:
- Log in to password.artic.edu with your current Portal user name and password
- Complete the challenge-response questions to securely manage your password in the future
- Update your password. As part of improved security, your SAIC Gmail account will require a new, secure password
- You can now log in to gmail.artic.edu to check your email and access the SAIC Google Apps suite
PLEASE NOTE: It may take up to 24 hours for your Gmail account to become available for use.
Once you switch to SAIC Gmail, all new email will be delivered to your SAIC Gmail account. You will no longer receive email through the Portal or your desktop email client (Apple Mail, etc.).
If you have old messages in the Portal email client that you wish to retain, you can forward them to yourself after you set up SAIC Gmail. Just select the email you wish to keep from your Portal account and forward it to your SAIC email address. The mail will then be delivered to your new SAIC Gmail inbox.
If you would like some help getting started with Gmail, Google has a number of training documents and videos here.