SAIC and CPS Partnership
Chicago Public Schools Partnership
In 2012, Chicago Public Schools (CPS) launched the CPS Arts Education Plan, with the goal that "every CPS student will receive ongoing, high quality arts education both in and out of the classroom." The plan states, "Each school and community, no matter the neighborhood or academic emphasis, will be called upon to embrace the notion that each and every student must be provided with the arts as an integral part of the academic day." As a vital part of the Chicago community, SAIC seeks to answer that call.
In the spring of 2013 Continuing Studies launched a new and significant partnership with CPS with the following goals:
- Support the new CPS Arts Education Plan
- Provide a forum for the development and promotion of an innovative and sustainable art/design curriculum
- Create a professional network that will advance the partnership's initiatives at the local and national levels
- Offer extended educational opportunities for students, parents, educators, and arts administrators
- Encourage a productive dialogue that brings increased clarity to the many benefits of an art/design education for all prekindergarten through 12th-grade students
The CAAP application deadline is extended to Thursday, April 19, 2018.
Education Team and Key Areas of Focus
The Education Team comprises CPS teachers and SAIC faculty, nine educators who will guide the initial efforts of the partnership. This team will continue to guide the development of innovative programs and serve as a professional network that engages in productive dialogue between two vibrant educational institutions and advances the ongoing partnership efforts.
The Education Team identified four key areas of focus for the pilot year of the partnership: college preparation, creative career paths, curriculum and teacher professional development, and design education.
In the following pages you will find information on projects developed by Continuing Studies that directly respond to these recommendations.