Bachelor of Fine Arts with an Emphasis in Art Education: Curriculum Requirements
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) with an Emphasis in Art Education teacher preparation program prepares candidates for the Illinois K–12 Visual Arts Teaching License. Here are the requirements you must meet to earn a BFA with an Emphasis in Art Education from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
|Total Credit Hours||138|
- Teacher candidates must pass three Illinois Certification Testing System tests to qualify for certification:
- Basic Skills Test—taken and passed before enrolling in the art education classes;
- Visual Arts Content Area Test—taken and passed before pre-clinical fieldwork; and
- K–12 Assessment of Professional Teaching Test—taken and passed before obtaining the teaching certificate.
- Teacher candidates must complete a fingerprint background check before enrolling in the art education courses and again, before the beginning of student teaching.
- Teacher candidates applying for certification must be United States citizens or intend to become United States citizens within 10 years of certificate issuance.
Total credits required for minimum residency 66
Minimum studio credit 30
Minimum professional education courses 30
Interested in learning more?
Visit the Department of Art Education website for information on the curriculum, faculty, and resources offered through the department.
Interested in learning more about how you can apply?