Bachelor of Fine Arts with an Emphasis in Art Education: Curriculum Requirements
Here are the requirements you must meet to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts with an Emphasis in Art Education (BFAAE) from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
BFAAE candidates complete 90 hours of preclinical observations in diverse classroom settings. The preclinical observations are followed by 490 hours of student teaching in ARTED 4490 Apprentice Teaching, equal to 12 credits. Student teachers are placed in two Chicago public schools for 14 weeks and are supervised by SAIC faculty members and on-site cooperating teachers. Student teachers meet with faculty for a weekly seminar to review lesson plans, strategies, and experiences.
SAIC’s BFAAE teacher preparation program is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education. The BFAAE degree meets the current requirements for the State of Illinois K–12 Visual Arts Professional Educator License.
Although SAIC's teacher preparation coursework often meets the teacher licensure requirements for other states and countries, SAIC cannot guarantee that an Illinois Professional Educator License will be honored outside of Illinois.
|Total Credit Hours||138|
- Teacher candidates must pass three Illinois Licensure Testing System tests to qualify for teacher licensure:
- Test of Academic Proficiency—taken and passed before enrolling in the Teacher preparation Coursework;
- Visual Arts Content Area Test—taken and passed before pre-clinical fieldwork; and
- K–12 Assessment of Professional Teaching Test—taken and passed before obtaining the teaching license.
- Teacher candidates must complete a fingerprint based background check at the beginning of the first semester of teacher preparation coursework and before the beginning of student teaching coursework. If the results of the teacher candidate's background check do not meet Chicago Public School district's standards, the candidate will not be able to continue in the teacher preparation program.
- Teacher candidates applying for an Illinois teaching license must be United States citizens or intend to become United States citizens within 10 years of license issuance.
Total credits required for minimum residency 66
Minimum studio credit 30
Minimum professional education courses 30
Interested in learning more?
Visit the Department of Art Education website for information on the curriculum, faculty, and resources offered through the department.
Interested in learning more about how you can apply?