Study Abroad/Off-Campus: BERLIN NOW! Advanced Studio Residency
July 2 – July 30, 2018 (depart July 1 if flying directly from the US)*
*Note: Dates subject to change
BERLIN NOW! Immerses students in the unique cultural environment of Berlin, and introduces them to important artists, curators, historians, and civic innovators of Europe’s new cultural capital, as they acquire a comprehensive understanding of the current cultural scene in Berlin and its relationship to historical events, stylistic precedents, and contemporary political issues.
Students will also obtain unique, professionally significant experiences, and with the extended time frame of a studio residency, produce specific research-based artwork and writing projects, pursue their independent projects on site, and form lasting relationships with cultural institutions, research libraries, local community organizations, and professionals in the arts.
Credits: 6 credits STUDIO and optional extra 3 credits ARTHI (4000-level)
Ellen Rothenberg, Professor, Fiber and Materials Studies, Writing
Daniel Eisenberg, Professor, Film,Video, New Media, VCS
Program fee: Approx. $4,500 (including some group meals, transport during the program, honoraria, facilities and accommodation; not including airfare).
PLUS Tuition cost per credit:
Undergraduate—$1,552 per credit hour;
Graduate—$1,625 per credit hour.
Airfare: Budget at least $1,400 for airfare if flying from the United States. (Note this is only an estimated figure. Actual fare will depend on many variables including airline, number of stopovers, exchange rate fluctuations, ports of departure and return, and date of ticket purchase).
Online registration begins: March 14, 2018
Deposit due at registration: $525
Thursday, February 8, 4:15 p.m.
MacLean Centre, room MC 111
Wednesday, February 28, 4:15 p.m.
MacLean Centre, room MC 111
Scholarship Opportunities: Students who intend to register for this study trip are eligible to apply for SAIC Travel & J. Field/R. Field Family Travel Scholarships [link to http://www.saic.edu/academics/studyabroadoff-campus/saicscholarships/] to assist with expenses. Application deadline February 14, 2018.
From previous Berlin course evaluations:
- The course was incredible. Not just because it was in Berlin but because it was guided by awesome faculty members. Dan and Ellen were all very welcoming and had a lot of knowledge and directions on how to look at Berlin as a city with strong connections to artistic and cultural production. From start to finish the schedule they created and the paths they chose; the galleries, exhibitions, parks, monuments, biennale, installations, sightseeing etc. etc. have expanded my horizons by the million and gave me great motivation and energy.
- I feel as if experiencing a new place first hand is the best way to learn about it, and that getting out of your comfort zone physically forces you to grow as a person. Dan and Ellen fostered an environment where we felt safe, but also one where were encouraged to push our boundaries and experience everything that we could. I not only learned from the experience, but also from the many different types of people who were on the study trip with me.
- Daniel and Ellen are patient listeners, and extremely insightful in their fields of specialization. Our group meetings and on site discussions were always very helpful and we look forward to their critique on our final projects
- Dan has extensive knowledge of Berlin as a city and was extremely good about pointing out things to students that were related to their specific interests. Dan was great at providing context for the historic sites and different places we visited, so that we were more fully able to understand what we were experiencing.
- Ellen was absolutely wonderful to work with. She took the time to observe the group closely and to reach out to us individually to help us connect our practice to the context we were in. She is extremely particular about integrating inclusivity in the programming and events, and this was something I appreciated greatly. A great artist, thinker and guide, Between Dan and her the people we met with in Berlin were invaluable to our learning.
- take this course!