Study Abroad/Off-Campus: Registration
Registration for summer study trips takes place online via SAIC Self-Service. Your Study Trip experience is only three steps away!
See our Prezi for an overview.
Step 1: Preregistration
Info Sessions and Preregistration begin:
Monday, February 4, 2013 for summer 2013
Step 1 is mandatory for all students who plan to register for a study trip. It's the only way to move to Step 2 (Registration and Deposit Payment). If you are still researching options, Step 1 can help you decide—it is an easy process with important information that applies to all SAIC faculty-led study trips. You can access Step 1 by clicking the Study Trip link under Academics in SAIC Self-Service.
Completing Step 1 does not register you for a study trip. In reviewing the details under each tab/section and indicating your agreement, you will be confirming your eligibility and accepting the terms of participation should you eventually register for a trip. After successfully completing Step 1, you will receive email notification with more details about Step 2 (Registration and Deposit Payment).
Step 2: Registration and Deposit Payment
Online registration begins:
Tuesday, March 5, 2013 for summer 2013
8:45 a.m. for graduate students, post-baccalaureate students, seniors, and juniors
12:00 p.m. for sophomores
- You can select a study trip reservation in the same way you usually register for on-campus courses, until each trip is full. Credit type and the amount of credits (e.g. 3 credit studio and/or 3 credit art history) will be added to your registration later.
- You must have already completed Step 1 to get access to study trip registration (Step 2). Check your account in advance and clear any holds that may prevent your ability to register. A waiting list will be available at the Registrar's Office if the trip is already full.
- Some study trips require an additional application process as specified on the study trip course description. For these trips, only those students who are preapproved by the faculty trip leaders will be allowed to register online. If a preapproved applicant does not secure his/her place by registering and paying the deposit by the required deadline, the spot will be made available to other students. Note: preapproved applicants must also complete Step 1 prior to registering.
Study Trip Deposit
After you successfully register, you must pay a nonrefundable deposit of $525 (or $250 for most domestic study trips). Payment can be made by credit card (Discover, American Express, or MasterCard) or by electronic check (ACH) via the CASHNet link in the My Account section of Self-Service. You may also pay by paper check or money order in U.S. currency at :
SAIC Bursar's Office
Sharp Building, 37 S. Wabash Ave., room 706E
Student Financial Services office
Sullivan Center, 36 S. Wabash Ave., room 1218
Cash deposits are discouraged. Important: do not pay your deposit before you have successfully registered for the trip because study trip deposits are nonrefundable.
Financial Aid Priority:
Summer 2013: February 22, 2013
You can submit a financial aid application as part of Step 1 (Preregistration). If you are eligible for financial aid, and you complete Step 1 by the financial aid priority date above, Student Financial Services will review it and issue a response prior to study trip registration. Be aware that any funds awarded will not be available for use as your study trip deposit. Note that this is not the final deadline for financial aid applications. You can still submit an application after the priority deadline, however, you may not have a response before the first day of registration.
Step 3: Study Trip Forms
All participants are required to read, understand, and sign agreements relating to SAIC study trip policies. After registering, each participant must return to the Study Trip link in SAIC Self-Service to complete the online study trip forms by a specified due date—usually one week after registration. You may read them in advance to become familiar with SAIC policies.
Other information that must be submitted to Study Abroad:
- A copy of your passport (for international trips)
Academic And Other Requirements
All usual academic requirements must be met in order to register for a study trip. For example, to register for Art History credits, a student must have completed both parts of the Survey of Art History; for Liberal Arts, all English requirements must be completed.
Some study trips may require an application and study trip leaders' approval before registration. If so, this will be listed on the trip description in Course Options.
The following students are not eligible to register for study trips:
- Freshmen who have successfully completed less than 30 credits at SAIC at the time of registration (unless a particular study trip has been designated for freshmen)
- Students currently on disciplinary probation or subject to any other disciplinary sanction
- Students currently on academic probation
- Students who have received a "No Credit" grade for a previous study trip
The following students' study trip participation will be reviewed:
- Students who become subject to academic or disciplinary sanction after registration. Note: a student whose study trip registration is cancelled as a result of this review must appeal to the Refund Review Committee for refund of fees.