Study Abroad/Off-Campus: How to Apply
Applying for a semester away program involves three major steps:
- Research your options. See Semester Exchange Information 2016 [PDF] for more information.
- Apply to the SAIC Study Abroad Review Panel
- Apply to the host school/program
1) Research your options
Students are encouraged to begin planning for a study away experience early in their SAIC careers and ideally no less than one year before travel. Students must attend an introductory Study Abroad Workshop before meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor or submitting an application. Workshops are held every Wednesday, 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. in the Sullivan Center, 36 South Wabash Avenue, suite 1203. No appointment is needed; just stop by! Study Abroad also maintains a collection of past participant essays that are available for review during regular office hours.
Additional tips when researching programs:
- Visit host school websites to familiarize yourself with programs and course offerings
- Read past participant essays housed in the Study Abroad office
- Brush up on your foreign language skills with Flaxman's web-based language tools
- Evaluate program costs early to help you build a plan for funding. See Financing Study Away to get started
- Meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss
Study Abroad strives to make international education an equally viable and accessible educational option for all SAIC students. If you are unsure if study abroad is right for you, we encourage you to meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss any doubts or concerns you may have. In addition, the following SAIC and outside resources may be helpful in building your plan for study abroad:
- SAIC Disability and Learning Resources Center
- SAIC Multicultural Affairs
- Mobility International USA
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG
2) Apply to Semester Away
Before applying to the host school/program, students must first apply to and gain approval from the Study Away Review Panel. Applications are due the semester prior to the proposed study away period: February 15 for fall semester away, September 15 for spring semester away.
Semester Study Abroad Application [fillable PDF—please right-click and download to edit]
3) Apply to host school/program
Students approved by the Study Away Review Panel meet individually with a Study Away Advisor to prepare the host school/program application. Review process, admission rate, and notification timelines differ depending on the chosen host school(s).