Printing and Output Services: Online Resources
- Inventables.com - An excellent resource for raw materials, electronic components, prototyping supplies and materials of the future!
- Material ConneXion - Awesome database of materials, products and processes.
- Yale Architecture's Supplier List - Some repeats, good sources for SFS projects.
- TAP Plastics - Tons of plastic products, including acrylic hinges, glues, etc.
- Generator.x - A conference and exhibition examining the current role of software and generative strategies in art and design.
- .MGX Design Products - Interesting designs using digital fabrication techniques.
- Wikipedia's Laser Cutter Page - Some good background info.
- Adobe Video Workshop - Ecxellent training videos for many Adobe software products, including Illustrator.
- How Lasers Work - Learn all about the different types of lasers, their different wavelengths and the uses to which we put them
- Universal Laser Systems - Manufacturer of the AOC's X-660 and X2-660 laser cutters.
- Central Shippee - Supplier of laser-cutter safe 100% wool felt (T2 and Tempora grades only) in various colors.
- How-To: Laser-Cut Felt Snowman Bag - Tutorial & CDR files for cutting a decorative snowman bag.
- Laserage - Chicago area laser-cutting service bureau. Laserage specializes in laser scribing, machining, drilling, welding, and other custom laser job shop services on alumina, metals, plastics, glass, and most other materials.
- Inventables.com - More than 25 color of acrylic are available from Inventables.com. You can also pick up the acrylic in person at their loop location. Email them for details.
- Johnson Plastics - Distributors of laser engraving materials and supplies.
- Laserbits - Distributors of laser engraving materials and supplies.
- Petersen Plastics - Local plastics supplier and service bureau. Good prices on acrylic, also offer laser cutting and signmaking services.
- Rowmark - Laser-Cutter material manufacturer.
- McMaster-Carr - Industrial supply company that carries lots of laser-cutter materials, and a billion other products.
- Cardboard Table Project - Sruli Recht's flatpack cardboard work table.
- FoldUp!3D - Package design/unfolding plugin for Illustrator.
- Pepakura Designer - Application for making cutting templates from 3D poly models.
- Fine Laser Cut - Small-run laser cutting services in gold, platinum, silver (fine, sterling), copper, aluminum, brass, bronze, titanium, stainless steel, and alloys.
3D Printing/Rapid Prototyping
- Wikipedia's Rapid Prototyping Page - Some good background info.
- Stratasys - Manufacturer of the AOC's Dimension SST 1200 and many other Rapid Prototypers.
- 3D Printer Users - A blog dedicated to users and potential users of Desktop 3D Printing and fabricating solutions.
- Fabbaloo - A blog tracking developments in Fabbing, 3D Printing and Desktop Manufacturing.
- Protomold - Small-run injection molding service
- Time Compression Technologies Magazine - Rapid Prototyping, Rapid Manufacturing and Rapid Product Development.
- MCAD Magazine - Online industrial CAD/CAM magazine.
- RepRap - The 'self-replicating' rapid prototyper.
- Generated Math-Based STL Files - George W. Hart's algorithmically generated STL files.
- Solid Modeling - Discuccion of 3D solid modeling vs. surface modeling.
- Wikipedia's 3D Scanner Page - Some good background info.
- Wikipedia's 3D Modeling Page - Some good background info.
- Rhinocerous - 3D NURBS modeling for Windows.
- Rhino Mac Beta - 3D NURBS modeling for OSX 10.5 currently still under development.
- 3D Content Central - A free service for locating, configuring, downloading, and requesting 3D parts and assemblies. Free CAD model downloads.
- Pepakura Designer - Application for making flat-sheet cutting templates from 3D poly models.
- Fixtureworks - CAD models of industrial parts.
2D Wide-Format Printing and Scanning
- SAIC Campus Printing - Locations, details and drivers for all self-serve printers on compus.
- SAIC Service Bureau - Large-format archival inkjet printing and high-capacity copy center.
- General Access Lab - Open-access computer lab with scanning and inkjet/laser printing resources.
- Using Preflight in Adobe Acrobat - Excellent training video about using Acrobat's preflight processor to prepare PDFs for printing.
- Adobe Video Workshop - Collection of really useful training videos for Adobe software products.
- DPI vs. PPI - These digital printing terms are ofen used interchangably. What's the difference?
- Image Processing Fundamentals - Can't tell a bicubic resample from gaussian blur? Here's a basic crash course on digital image processing.
- Introduction to Digital Imaging - A great overview of digital imaging.
- Instant Photoshop - A Fast-Start Introduction to Photoshop For Photographers.