Master of Architecture with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture: Admissions Requirements
Application to the Master of Architecture (MArch) with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is open to students who have earned an undergraduate degree. Students should have taken one course in college-level algebra and one course in college level physics to begin the program.
The SAIC Architecture, Interior Architecture, and Designed Objects (AIADO) department requires an online application for its MArch with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture program. You will need a valid credit card and current email address in order to complete the form. Please review the following requirements carefully before submitting your application:
- Applications for the fall semester must be submitted no later than January 15. No applications are accepted for spring semester.
- There is an $80 nonrefundable application fee ($100 for international applications). The application fee is discounted by 50% from September 1 through November 30.
- You must upload one 500- to 750-word statement of purpose that describes the history of your interests and experiences in design, your personal and professional motivations and goals, and your reasons for pursuing graduate study at SAIC. Upload your statement of purpose to the online application.
- In addition to your application, you must submit an ePortfolio by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on January 16. Your portfolio should include a minimum of five different projects documented in up to 20 images, or up to 10 minutes of time-based work, or a combination of the two as appropriate. Applicants with no previous experience in design can submit a critical writing sample or a visual "essay" in lieu of a traditional design portfolio.
- A current résumé is required. Upload your résumé to the online application.
- An interview is required. Please contact the AIADO department prior to the application deadline at 312.629.6650 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your interview.
You also must submit an official college transcript and two letters of reference for admission into the program. You can ask your references to upload their letter to your online application or mail them directly to the school. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and work experience in architecture, interior design, or a related field is recommended, but not required.
Master of Architecture with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture, Option 2:
Students with undergraduate preprofessional bachelor's degrees in architecture or architectural technology may request admission to SAIC's MArch with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture, Option 2 program. Applicants must request consideration for the Option 2 program in a letter with their application to the MArch with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture program.
Students who request consideration for the MArch with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture, Option 2 may be placed into the MArch with an Emphasis in Interior Architecture program if their undergraduate transcripts and syllabi do not include courses covering all of the topics included in the first year of SAIC's Master of Architecture program.
This consideration is made after admission to the Master of Architecture program and is dependent on available space as well as a college transcript showing completion of the following classes:
- 6 semester credit hours in building science
- 3 semester credit hours in structural engineering
- 6 semester credit hours in architectural history
- 6 semester credit hours in design studios
Ready to apply? Complete your online application now.