Master of Fine Arts in Writing: Admissions Requirements
An online application is required for the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Writing program. You will need a valid credit card and current email address in order to complete the form. Please review the following requirements carefully before submitting your application:
- Applications must be submitted by January 15.
- There is an $80 nonrefundable application fee ($100 for international applications).
- You must upload a 500- to 700-word statement of purpose that describes your writing or research. Discuss how you came to focus on writing at the graduate level, as well as why you are interested in SAIC for your graduate education and what you hope to gain from your time here. Please include a short description of your reading practice and interests. Upload your statement of purpose via your ePortfolio.
In addition to your application, you must submit an ePortfolio with a deadline of January 16. Your portfolio should include a sample of your recent writing from at least one of the following (in .pdf format up to 10 MB each):
- 8–10 poems OR
- 2 short stories OR
- 1 excerpt from a novel OR
- 1 play or performance text OR
- 1 hybrid text from multi-genres OR
- 1–2 short works of nonfiction
If your work incorporates other media—images, video, sound, comics or performance—you can upload video, audio recordings, or digital files to supplement your writing sample in one of the following formats:
- Images: .jpg, .gif, .pdf (up to 5 MB each)
- Videos: .flv, .wv, .mov (up to 60 MB each)
- Audio: .mp3 (up to 10 MB each)
You also must submit an official college transcript and two letters of reference for admission into the program. You can ask your references to upload their letter to your online application or mail them directly to the school.