Master of Design in Designed Objects: Admissions Requirements
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) Department of Architecture, Interior Architecture, and Designed Objects requires an online application for its Master of Design in Designed Objects program. You will need a valid credit card and current email address in order to complete the form. Please review the following requirements carefully before submitting your application:
- Applications for the fall semester must be submitted no later than January 15. No applications are accepted for spring semester.
- There is an $80 nonrefundable application fee ($100 for international applications). The application fee is discounted by 50% from September 1 through November 30.
- You must upload one 500- to 750-word statement of purpose describing the history of your interests and experiences in design, your personal and professional motivations and goals, and your reasons for pursuing graduate study at SAIC.
- In addition to your application, you must submit an ePortfolio by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on January 16. Your portfolio should include a minimum of five different projects documented in up to 20 images, or up to 10 minutes of time-based work, or a combination of the two as appropriate. Applicants with no previous experience in design can submit a critical writing sample or a visual essay in lieu of a traditional design portfolio. Using the ePortfolio, submit a 1,000-word critical writing sample addressing some aspect of design that is of specific interest or concern to you. You may include images.
- A current résumé is required. Upload your résumé to the online application.
You also must submit an official college transcript and two letters of reference for admission into the program. You can ask your references to upload their letter to your online application or mail them directly to the school. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended, but not required. Some candidates may be contacted for an interview.
For more information on the application and admissions process, visit the graduate admissions website.
Ready to apply? Complete your online application now.